Bug 46863 - [68cat] Permit library names to contain spaces
[68cat] Permit library names to contain spaces
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: projects
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Libraries
4.x
All All
: P2 with 15 votes (vote)
: 7.1
Assigned To: Tomas Zezula
issues@projects
: API, PLAN
: 43601 55179 61628 76656 84146 85640 87965 89307 92101 93079 104888 105220 115601 117590 125627 133477 166374 172126 185275 199997 (view as bug list)
Depends on: 199253
Blocks: 41535
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2004-08-03 15:56 UTC by Stacy
Modified: 2012-03-23 08:41 UTC (History)
12 users (show)

See Also:
Issue Type: ENHANCEMENT
:


Attachments
Screenshot with other incorrect characters (non-space) (89.62 KB, image/jpeg)
2009-12-03 13:24 UTC, yatzar
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Stacy 2004-08-03 15:56:30 UTC
I would like to register a new library, but the
New Library dialog does not accepts name with
space insisde. But there are some deafult
libraries with space in name like "Absolut Layout"
installed.
Comment 1 Petr Hrebejk 2004-08-03 16:25:22 UTC
Invalid, because of ANT?
Comment 2 Tomas Zezula 2004-08-03 16:31:34 UTC
Yes, the display name can contain spaces but the system name not,
because of Ant.
The issue is related to:
http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=43601 (Renaming of
library = the same problem)
Comment 3 Tomas Zezula 2005-02-18 14:57:10 UTC
*** Issue 55179 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 4 rsk 2006-02-02 04:56:19 UTC
If this is because of Ant, why doesn't the display name become whatever I type,
and the underlying library name just use underscores instead?

This is really frustrating especially considering that the default set of 10
libraries or so use spaces.

(I swear there was a newer bug for this)
Comment 5 Jesse Glick 2006-02-02 18:15:14 UTC
"If this is because of Ant, why doesn't the display name become whatever I type,
and the underlying library name just use underscores instead?" - well that's
just what the fix would consist of. The main reason we didn't do it this way to
begin with is that there is the possibility of confusion later in the Resolve
Broken References dialog - a different user resolving your "Hello Library" would
actually see "Hello_Library". But that is probably much less of a problem than this.
Comment 6 Tomas Zezula 2006-02-03 07:36:27 UTC
Yes, the resolve broken references was the reason why we decided that ant name
== library name in the NB 4.0. It is trivial to change it, but it requires an
API change in the LibraryImplementation which has no getter/setter for display name.
Comment 7 _ wadechandler 2006-05-23 03:17:57 UTC
*** Issue 76656 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 8 _ wadechandler 2006-05-23 03:25:31 UTC
*** Issue 61628 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 9 Tomas Zezula 2006-09-11 14:50:23 UTC
*** Issue 84146 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 10 Jesse Glick 2006-09-25 20:15:36 UTC
*** Issue 85640 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 11 Marian Mirilovic 2006-09-26 07:47:51 UTC
Number of duplicaes is rising, so I do with the priority.
Comment 12 Marian Mirilovic 2006-11-14 19:56:42 UTC
*** Issue 89307 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 13 Jan Lahoda 2006-11-21 15:44:03 UTC
*** Issue 87965 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 14 Jan Lahoda 2006-11-21 15:55:31 UTC
*** Issue 88419 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 15 Kirill Sorokin 2006-11-26 22:13:20 UTC
Folks, that's a shame... A P2 with 9 (!!) duplicates being open for 2.5 years.
Shouldn't you just fix it?
Comment 16 Marian Mirilovic 2006-11-27 09:23:35 UTC
I agree with ksorokin. 

Tonda, 
do you plan this for NB 6.0 ?
Comment 17 Antonin Nebuzelsky 2006-11-28 10:09:02 UTC
> do you plan this for NB 6.0 ?

Yes, I agree this should be fixed. I talked to Tomas. He will do this soon.
Comment 18 Jan Lahoda 2007-01-09 12:41:51 UTC
*** Issue 92101 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 19 Jesse Glick 2007-01-24 10:39:31 UTC
*** Issue 93079 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 20 Jesse Glick 2007-01-24 10:40:25 UTC
Clearly was not done for M6. Target milestone?
Comment 21 Jesse Glick 2007-03-27 22:17:43 UTC
Also see issue #89306.
Comment 22 Marian Mirilovic 2007-05-31 09:55:41 UTC
*** Issue 105220 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 23 Tomas Zezula 2007-08-17 10:12:51 UTC
*** Issue 104888 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 24 Jesse Glick 2007-09-27 16:51:56 UTC
*** Issue 115601 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 25 renrutal 2007-09-27 18:26:00 UTC
13 duplicates, with the related issues(one a P1), it goes up to 15.

I assume this won't make to NB 6.0, as it didn't for the other previous five major releases.

Is this really just a matter of adding a get/setDisplayName and adapting the UI and XMLs?
Comment 26 Tomas Zezula 2007-09-27 18:33:38 UTC
Mainly it's an incompatible SPI change.
Comment 27 Jiri Prox 2007-10-05 15:20:37 UTC
*** Issue 117590 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 28 Tomas Zezula 2008-08-20 13:25:34 UTC
*** Issue 125627 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 29 Tomas Zezula 2008-08-20 16:37:59 UTC
*** Issue 133477 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 30 renrutal 2009-02-18 19:17:47 UTC
So, what are the changes for this 5 year old bug to be fixed in 7.0? It's a popular bug.
Comment 31 Jiri Prox 2009-06-08 13:14:23 UTC
*** Issue 166374 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 32 Petr Dvorak 2009-07-29 14:40:35 UTC
OK, is someone actually going to fix this? Please reevaluate as the TM is obsolete.
Comment 33 Tomas Zezula 2009-09-21 19:00:07 UTC
*** Issue 172126 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Comment 34 Tomas Zezula 2009-09-21 19:02:08 UTC
Should be fixed into next version as it has very duplicates.
Requires an API change.
Comment 35 yatzar 2009-12-03 13:24:24 UTC
Created attachment 92070 [details]
Screenshot with other incorrect characters (non-space)

Some characters in other locales (ru_RU, e.g.) are incorrect too.
Comment 36 Tomas Zezula 2009-12-04 00:36:00 UTC
Scheduled for NB 6.9 (http://wiki.netbeans.org/EditorPlan69)
Comment 37 giorgio42 2011-05-23 21:22:50 UTC
Guys, I don't know, but if you cannot fix a thing like that within 7 years, what can you say ? Using NetBeans for 11 years now it makes me feel desperate a bit to still see these stains on the face of NetBeans being totally neglected... OK, how about this: not because, but despite the mindset of its maintainers NetBeans manages to be a great product... 

With the unwelcome fact in mind that a shortcoming like this has existed for years and years the press releases published following the tenet of "the importance of working backwards" sound a bit "flamboyant". Just lifting the carpet and dusting away all the dirt there would be enough to make for a great release 8.0.
Comment 38 Tomas Zezula 2011-05-24 07:55:18 UTC
In reply to comment #37.
There were always more important fixes and features with much more significant impact.
Comment 39 athompson 2011-05-24 14:36:32 UTC
(In reply to comment #38)
> In reply to comment #37.
> There were always more important fixes and features with much more significant
> impact.

For example the Maven work, which is a better way of handling libraries, anyway.  If you ask me, they should do away with that legacy project stuff and focus on Maven exclusively.
Comment 40 Peter Nabbefeld 2011-05-24 14:40:29 UTC
(In reply to comment #39)

> anyway.  If you ask me, they should do away with that legacy project stuff and
> focus on Maven exclusively.

No, definitively not. Maven is too much overload for smaller projects.
Comment 41 Tomas Zezula 2011-05-24 14:48:46 UTC
The Ant based project is not legacy. Lot's of people prefer Ant to Maven.
See NB statistics: http://statistics.netbeans.org/analytics/graph/projecttypes.jsp
I will try to do this as soon as possible before other requests come.
Comment 42 athompson 2011-05-24 15:43:47 UTC
(In reply to comment #40)
> No, definitively not. Maven is too much overload for smaller projects.

Spoken like someone who has never used Maven.  It is much simpler for smaller projects because there is virtually no configuration.
Comment 43 jn 2011-05-24 19:27:36 UTC
Sorry, there are a lot of us who have absolutely no interest in a project ruled by Mavenocracy.
Comment 44 giorgio42 2011-06-01 21:34:36 UTC
I have tried Maven myself and for smaller projects without a lot of dependencies the standard Ant way is much easier. For instance, it takes some time (at least for the Maven newbie) to find out, how to integrate a simple jar dependency into your project. You have to install it in your local repository first to be able to reference it (you could always edit the pom, but that's 100% against Maven style). So you have to go through mvn:install...

If, after two or three years or so, one of my internal customer approaches me and says, ok, have you worked this or that project I always say, there have been more important things, then they say, yes, I understand that, but 3 years and never had time ? Come on !
Comment 45 athompson 2011-06-02 07:40:25 UTC
This is not the appropriate place for this conversation, so I shouldn't have brought it up.  But your last comment suggests that you do have some misconceptions about how Maven works.  Of course you can and should edit the POM to add your dependencies, and I'm not sure how you got it to work without doing so.  Also, you only need to manually install a dep locally if the dep is not in any remote repository.  In any case, there are much better alternatives, such as creating your own repository.
Comment 46 Tomas Zezula 2011-06-16 09:13:41 UTC
Fixed jet-main ac7d98ff7208
Comment 47 Quality Engineering 2011-06-17 14:39:03 UTC
Integrated into 'main-golden'
Changeset: http://hg.netbeans.org/main-golden/rev/ac7d98ff7208
User: Tomas Zezula <tzezula@netbeans.org>
Log: #46863:Permit library names to contain spaces
Comment 48 Tomas Zezula 2011-07-11 09:41:13 UTC
*** Bug 199997 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 49 Tomas Zezula 2011-08-31 14:09:50 UTC
*** Bug 43601 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 50 Tomas Zezula 2012-03-23 08:41:46 UTC
*** Bug 185275 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***


By use of this website, you agree to the NetBeans Policies and Terms of Use. © 2014, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Sponsored by Oracle logo