Popup menu performance is not within the performance criteria for various
objects. Based on Radim's evaluation, the improvement needs to be done mostly in
the popup menu infrastructure; the individual DataNode implementations can not
really do much:
Subject: Update on performance bugs in J2EE (5.5)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 16:15:08 +0200
From: Radim <xxxxxx@Sun.COM>
last couple of days I was trying to found something what can help us to
make popups on various nodes faster. There was struggling with analyzer
and with our profiler too (#77839).
I did not find any low hanging fruit here. Couple of observations include:
- some tuning in SFS that Petr N. can do
- change of node selection is more expensive than I'd like to see. For
example #77963, some updates performed by debugger can be perhaps
- what I saw in profiler recalled me that sometimes we use CookieAction
although subclassing NodeAction is enough
- classloading is apparently a problem. For example we can simplify some
things in xml that are useless now (#77909). Init of SystemAction is
also a bit slower that simple Swing action
These are not big wins so I will continue next week and will look into
editor opening too.
Thus, I am changing the object-specific issues to TASKs and filing this as a
DEFECT to track them.
None of the points from the Radim's evaluation suggest the nodes infrastructure
is the problem.
- SFS is core (I have already done some improvements there).
- Node selection change is slowed down by individual listeners, mostly module
- Actions again, lookup usage is expensive when not necessary
Anyway, I'll try to profile the popup menus again and look at individual time
> None of the points from the Radim's evaluation suggest the nodes infrastructure
> is the problem.
Ok, point taken, I am not sure where exactly the improvements can be gained.
Thanks for looking at this.
Try selecting 30+ projects and then trying to open the popup menu.
It takes foooooooooreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.
I mean I can make myself a cup of coffee in both the time it takes to select the
projects, and the time it takes to bring up the popup menu.
Also try deselecting just one project (with the control key) out of the selected
These operations in the IDE are really not usable.
What times do you see currently.
I was about to profile it, but for me, while the times were out of UI responsiveness boundaries, the IDE was still usable
I tried 23 (Editor module and all its dependencies) NBM projects (which are generally considered quite slow) and both
selecting them and invoking popup was between 1-2s.
Reassigning to new module owner Tomas Holy.
too old, no plans to fix this issue