This issue was reported manually by stiffuser.
It already has 5 duplicates
Build: NetBeans IDE 7.0.1 (Build 201107282000)
VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM, 20.1-b02-383, Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment, 1.6.0_26-b03-383-11A511
OS: Mac OS X
GUEST: small project, Ctrl+space twice, even these start options don't help:
-J-Xss2m -J-Xms400m -J-XX:PermSize=64m -J-Dsun.java2d.opengl=true -J-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled -J-XX:+CMSPermGenSweepingEnabled
Maximum slowness yet reported was 14148 ms, average is 7587
Created attachment 110824 [details]
completion is waiting for file to be parsed.
Created attachment 110921 [details]
Operations with filesystem takes a lot.
I guess NetBeans does not have enough memory.
Setting of -J-Xmx and -J-XX:PermSize could help.
there are serveral snapshots with problems
java.net.URISyntaxException: Illegal character in path at index 0:
INFO [cnd.logger]: Calling Parser in UI Thread
java.lang.Exception: Calling Parser in UI Thread
Created attachment 112223 [details]
I tried completing a local variable name and it took a lot of time.
Code Completion must be instantaneous.
(In reply to comment #6)
> Created an attachment (id=112223) [details]
> nps snapshot
> I tried completing a local variable name and it took a lot of time.
I need more info.
- was it the case after IDE restart where project previously was already parsed? Or it was during parse of project?
- were semantic highlighting already colored document (i.e. function names are in bold, fields are green, ...)
in this snapshot IDE is reading from global ns members from repository
Snapshots analysis shows that slowness has several reasons:
- first use of completion (after restoring from repository)
-- restoring from repository is lazy, so some objects are deserialized first time in completion query
- completion query is waiting for one file to be parsed
-- file has deep includes
- completion query is visiting file and it's inclusions when inclusions are possibly have cycles due to symlinks structure
Fix of this issues is risky in 7.1 timeframe
I've separated logs.
In this one I've left only related to repository.
1) Not enough memory, we recommend to give NB -J-Xmx1G
2) memory is OK, but few first usages of completion after opening IDE or project - repository is reading indexes into memory.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 197297 ***