Real projects usually uses several server side services:
* Bugtracking (bugzilla, etc..)
* Versioning (SVN, Hg, etc..)
All these services are supported by the IDE, but there should be some way, how to configure all these services via one script (downloaded from url, or stored locally). It will be useful to have decalarative way how to define connection between all those services, which belongs to my project.
Kenai support can be reused. Format of configurations scripts could be json for instance. See https://netbeans.org/api/projects/java/features.json
* will the user need to do two steps - opening the project and pointing the IDE to the config script? seems like the config should rather be included in the project
* the JSON format is nice because we already have the code which understands it, but on the other hand it is not too readable for the user - how will the users create and later update the config?
* maven already has a standard way of specifying some (most?) of these properties in a project
> * maven already has a standard way of specifying some (most?) of these
> properties in a project
one more potential provider for the suggested service. together with the kenai suport and the vcs - bugtracking integration which both already have their own mechanisms have to store at least some of the mentioned information.
Re tonda #1:
included in which project? For instance netbeans IDE has hundreds of projects. And it will be also useful to be able to work with projects, which are not open in the IDE. For instance we are experimenting with server-side "go to type" which will be able to work with types, which are not open in the IDE
re tonda #2:
JSON is just suggestion. I'm not sure. Anyway these config files will be created by project admin only once. And I don't think, that it is necessary to have advanced editor for it.