I am using Netbeans 6.5 on Windows XP with the C++ module.
I set code assistance to look at my executable (debug build). This generally works fine. However, when I add new code
and rebuild it seems the Netbeans does not always reparse the newly created executable to get the new information. I
have seen the tool not work properly on new code that I have added, even after rebuilding. But if I go into the
configure code assistance and point it to the same executable again and click finish, it will then pick up everything
and work properly.
It should do this automatically after each build but it does not seem to be doing this always.
it's about discovery
As I understand the configuration of new added source file is same as other source files in the folder have.
In this case make may process new source file with same -I and -D options.
As result we have successful build.
If it is you case, the issue was fixed in way:
- new source file inherits -I & -D option from folder/project level
The suggested way does not fit for a large applications because analyzing time can be very long (can consume 10-20% of
I should have given more details in the first bug report. Sorry about that. I have netbeans set to parse all my
binary files (object files, libraries, and executables) for code assistance. I do debug builds with the proper
options so that it will pick up all the symbols. I have netbeans set to use my Makefile to build things. Most of the
time I can click on a variable or function and have netbeans go to where that was defined. Typically this works
perfectly. However at certain times Netbeans cannot find definitions properly. I do not know all the cases. But
whenever it gets into that state I have to click on the project and select code assistance. I then go through all the
settings to tell it to read all object, library, and executable files under a certain directory and all sub-
directories. Netbeans spends some time analyzing after I do this. Once that is done everything works again. So at
some point it is losing track of things and not automatically re-parsing in the background to gather the information
Like the original bug report said one case where I see this happen is if I add a couple of new files. I recompile so
I know the symbol information is available for the new files and in the directory where netbeans could pick it up.
However it does not pick it up until I manually go through the process described above. It seems Netbeans should be
able to reparse the object files after a build to find this information.
But it also seems that even existing symbol information is sometimes lost. I have not determined what causes this to
happen, but I do see it fairly often.
Anyway I hope that is enough info for you to go on. If not let me know if there is anything more I can do on my end
to help you.
I agree, newly added files settings should be detected after they are compiled.
Since NB7.0.1 IDE can detect new compilation units on Linux and Solaris platforms.
The issue should be resolved in the latest NetBeans versions.
The functionality still missed for Mac and Windows, so it's too early to close this Bug.