While debugging a real-life application I observed the following endless chain of *this in Watches (see attached screenshot)
Created attachment 72791 [details]
Created attachment 72792 [details]
I could not duplicate this problem. Can you attach a minimal test case which demonstrates
the problem? It looks like its using Wind32 and/or COM APIs and I've got no experience
there. If its possible to give me a very simple tarball containing a test case it would
make it easier to duplicate and fix. Thanks!
Also, do you see similar behavior expanding "this" in the Local Variables view?
I looked further at the gdb log file and part of the problem is that when the IDE asks gdb for
type information for "this" gdb returns an error message saying there is no "this" in the current
scope (this may be a user error but I can't say for sure).
If I setup a similar environment and override the return of the type request with a similar error,
I get the recurring this->*this behavior. So it looks like I can set this scenario up via some
hacking. If so, I should also be able to set up a test to correctly deal with it.
This means I won't be able to expand "this" if gdb doesn't tell me its type.
After getting Alexander's test case (via email) I've completed the fix for this issue. The 1st part
of the fix was in changeset http://hg.netbeans.org/main/rev/2ec6a02936a7. Today's part is in changeset
QA, please verify this fix till 14-Jan-2009, so it can be part of NB 6.5 patch 2.
verified in build 20090113092345
It would be nice to have the fix in NB 6.5 patch
verified in NB6.5 with provided jar files
Cumulative backport of fixes of IZ 151481(rebackport), 151577, 151610, 153473, 151640, 151761, 155487, 151631, 133134
provided by developer.
Backported into release65_fixes branch
verified in patch2