Please use the Apache issue tracking system for new NetBeans issues ( !!
Bug 121778 - I18N - Chinese chars displayed incorrectly with non-chinese font
I18N - Chinese chars displayed incorrectly with non-chinese font
Product: editor
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Painting & Printing
PC Windows XP
: P3 (vote)
: 6.x
Assigned To: Miloslav Metelka
: I18N
: 200948 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
  Show dependency treegraph
Reported: 2007-11-13 01:00 UTC by kongnan
Modified: 2017-07-05 22:14 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:

description (225.94 KB, image/jpeg)
2007-11-13 03:03 UTC, kongnan

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description kongnan 2007-11-13 01:00:04 UTC
Comment 1 kongnan 2007-11-13 03:03:07 UTC
Created attachment 52907 [details]
Comment 2 Marian Mirilovic 2007-11-13 07:45:45 UTC
Reporter, please translate the text into English and reopen. Thanks in advance.
Comment 3 kongnan 2007-11-13 09:46:09 UTC
I'm sorry for my poor english... The following report is written in "CHINGLISH".

In chinese environment, the chinese characters can't be displayed correctly if you choose a non-chinese font(as Courier 
New) for the editor. This may be "disposed" by setting fonts separately for "string" and "comments", but why don't give 
a better solution as follows: 1-allow user to select particular fonts for western chars and CJK chars (see OOO Writer), 
2-replace them with correct fonts (pre-define, user-define, or from font list: see CSS font-family).
Comment 4 Vitezslav Stejskal 2007-11-13 09:59:59 UTC
kongnan, thanks for the report. You english is perfect, don't be shy to use it ;-).

Ken, is this something we already have on the list? I can vaguely recall similar issue. Is it Netbeans of JDK related?
Could you guys please reproduce it and attach the steps here (with the steps for chinese or japanese locale setup as
well). Maybe just post a link here, I think you already described the setup somewhere. Thanks
Comment 5 Ken Frank 2007-11-13 14:58:28 UTC
I believe this can be viewed as a good RFE for next release 
but don't think its an actual issue for nb6 since there is now
just one font choice for a given item of editor.
(we are in the final phases of nb6 release right now)

there is also a rfe to allow for easier choosing of the
global editor font, so user does not need to choose multiple times.

And your #2 suggestion is good also, to have a smaller kind of list
that is applicable for fonts that can work with cjk.
Comment 6 Ken Frank 2008-01-10 19:53:32 UTC
can team evaluate and see if this is really an RFE or is it something
we can fix though I think if it involves new properties and ui/approach
for options it might be a longer term kind of fix.

I think suggestions by filer can be taken as basis for enhancements.
Comment 7 Jan Becicka 2008-08-15 14:27:56 UTC
I agree with Ken, that this is rather RFE.
Comment 8 Masaki Katakai 2011-08-16 00:21:05 UTC
*** Bug 200948 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 9 Martin Balin 2016-07-07 07:26:34 UTC
This old bug may not be relevant anymore. If you can still reproduce it in 8.2 development builds please reopen this issue.

Thanks for your cooperation,
NetBeans IDE 8.2 Release Boss
Comment 10 zhijun98 2017-07-05 21:39:00 UTC
I confirm this old bug comes back in 8.2.

I have legacy projects which were done in 8.0 or before in which I had no any issue on typing Chinese in editor. Also properties files which are used for i18n worked perfectly. However, after I upgraded it to 8.2, all the Chinese characters in my legacy projects cannot be displayed correctly. They all becomes squares now.
Comment 11 zhijun98 2017-07-05 21:46:53 UTC
I just confirmed my Netbeans version. 8.1 has no issue either. Only 8.2 has this issue.
Comment 12 zhijun98 2017-07-05 22:14:28 UTC
I apologize that it was my bad. My editor's font does not support unicode somehow. After I choose other font, e.g. Monospaced 13, the problem is gone. So, it has no problem actually.
Comment 13 zhijun98 2017-07-05 22:14:42 UTC
I apologize that it was my bad. My editor's font does not support unicode somehow. After I choose other font, e.g. Monospaced 13, the problem is gone. So, it has no problem actually.

By use of this website, you agree to the NetBeans Policies and Terms of Use. © 2014, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Sponsored by Oracle logo