[73cat] Re: [news] Status Report #14

  • From: Lehel Sipos < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [73cat] Re: [news] Status Report #14
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 07:12:15 +0100

Hi Jirka,

I would like to help, testing CVS on WinXp.

Also, I am verifying the problem, related to minimizing debugger type windows group. But as I observed, after NetBeans version "Dev 201212120001" fortunately this problem was ceased.
regards,
Lehel

2013/1/8 Jiří Kovalský < " target="_blank"> >
Hello NetCAT team,

welcome to the first 2013's status report.

1. Overall summary

It's great that the holiday season indeed served its purpose for the vast majority of the NetCAT team. At least I interpret the minimal activity as the proof that many participants really relaxed and enjoyed the time doing not common things.  ;-) Now, the new year is here, Code Freeze is near - so let's go back to work. Since we have a better understanding of bug numbers after the break, we have put together a more precise plan on how to proceed with 7.3. The full testing is almost complete and it's amazing that 9 participants helped test the last pieces before the end of the calendar year. Overall activity in that period dropped to 375 BETs (~125 BETs per week) - 32 participants filed 1+ defects, 20 participants wrote 1+ e-mails and 2 participants reviewed 1 tutorial each. In particular, there was a discussion about inconsistency in project types, reports about some infrastructure problems and some more feedback.

2. Important stuff
  • If you are curious to know what lies ahead of us, visit NetCAT program's homepage [1] as the schedule has been updated yesterday. Basically, we will be certifying two builds (RC, FCS) and our response will be needed in two surveys (the final Community Acceptance and Satisfaction survey). It would be nice, if you could allocate some time for these 4 remaining tasks.
[1] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetCAT
  • We would like to once again thank to all who contributed some effort to the full testing of the IDE. In the last 3 weeks it was José Galaviz (API Support), Lehel Sipos (Window System, Debugger), Manikantan Narender Nath (Wizards, Options), Efrem McCrimon (Plugins Manager), Dhawal Saiya (Web Client, Tasklist), James Powell (Subversion), Marco Molteni (CVS), Marcin Starnacki (Connected Developer, Profiler) and Benno Markiewicz (Spring Support).
  • If anyone is still willing to help with testing Subversion, Unit Testing support on Windows 7, Debugger or GUI Builder on Windows 8, or CVS - please let me know ASAP. These features represent the last not tested 1%. Thanks!
  • Marco Molteni and Marcin Starnacki both reviewed 1 tutorial which means we have already 108 tutorials. There are still only 10 NoGo verdicts and Marcin is still the most productive contributor with 26 reviews, followed by Marco (25) and Efrem McCrimon with 17 reviews. Thank you guys!
  • Michael Müller pointed out that division of projects into categories was not logical. While Ant based Java project resides under Java > Java Application, the Maven based one can be found under Maven > Java Application. He suggested to join both wizards and let user choose the build system in a new wizard step. Michael, have you filed this issue already?
  • Some people were complaining about issues with netbeans.org infrastructure. Javier Ortiz was not able to use the zip distributions. Michael Müller couldn't install JUnit plugin due to not working deadlock.netbeans.org and Michael Nascimento warned that Bugzilla was down. Everything should be back to normal. ;-)
  • Please note that since December 21st, we disabled installation of NetBeans IDE on Mac OS X with JDK 7 Update 9 or older (#218822). A workaround is to use JDK 6 or JDK 7 Update 10.
  • If you also look forward to deploying your web/enterprise applications to GlassFish 4, you must be patient. We will certainly not bundle GlassFish 4 with NetBeans 7.3, because it will not be final in time. However, you can play with it and test new Java EE 7 features if you install a special branch build [2].
[2] http://bertram2.netbeans.org:8080/job/web-main-javaee7
  • With 7.3 release going into the final phase we start discussing various process issues and having a good Quality Criteria [3] is one of the topics. What are your thoughts on this? How do you personally evaluate new IDE release and decide that its quality is good enough for your production development? Should we continue using P3 targets? Or any inspiration from other open source projects?
[3] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeans_73_Quality_Criteria
3. Bug hunting
  • Many NetCAT participants encountered java.lang.IllegalArgumentException when closing Maven project(s) - #223309. We now have a special log from Tomas Danek, which will hopefully reveal where the problem lies. Please stay tuned.
  • Instead of the end of the world on 12/21/2012, Michael Nascimento experienced frozen IDE when he invoked Git > Diff (#224114). The proper fix was incremental but we believe it should not happen again. Michael?
  • Michael found many other serious bugs like Call Hierarchy sometimes ignoring exact context (#224092), poor searching capability of the Find Issues component (#224240) or missing usecase in the _expression_ Language Rename Refactoring (#224241). All these and many other Michael's bugs were fixed already. Thanks for your help Michael!
  • Benno Markiewicz discovered why NetBeans does not sometimes restart for example after importing options (#224082). This regression in Module System has been resolved yesterday. Can you please verify the fix?
  • Thomas Kruse noticed that Go to File feature displays some _javascript_ files twice for PHP projects (#224305). This bug needs more investigation.
  • Michael Nascimento was the best bug reporter of the previous 3 weeks as he reported 21 bugs.
  • 10 high priority bugs were filed during the holiday season and 8 of them were fixed. That's a productivity, isn't it? :-)
  • 3 participants filed 1 bug each on Christmas Eve: Pavel Selivanov, Michael Müller and Edson Richter. What a passion for the NetBeans project! Thanks for the Christmas gifts guys! :-)
4. Statistics (3 weeks)

Bugs submitted: 1117 (+100)
Open bugs: 228 (2/3/185/38)
E-mails: 1343 (+65)