[73cat] [news] Status Report #14
- From: Jiří Kovalský <
- To: NetCAT team <
- Subject: [73cat] [news] Status Report #14
- Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:51:55 +0100
Hello NetCAT team,|
welcome to the first 2013's status report.
1. Overall summary
It's great that the holiday season indeed served its purpose for the
vast majority of the NetCAT team. At least I interpret the minimal
activity as the proof that many participants really relaxed and
enjoyed the time doing not common things. ;-) Now, the new year
is here, Code Freeze is near - so let's go back to work. Since we
have a better understanding of bug numbers after the break, we have
put together a more precise plan on how to proceed with 7.3. The
full testing is almost complete and it's amazing that 9 participants
helped test the last pieces before the end of the calendar year.
Overall activity in that period dropped to 375 BETs (~125
BETs per week) - 32 participants filed 1+ defects, 20 participants
wrote 1+ e-mails and 2 participants reviewed 1 tutorial each. In
particular, there was a discussion about inconsistency in project
types, reports about some infrastructure problems and some more
2. Important stuff
- If you are curious to know what lies ahead of us, visit NetCAT
program's homepage 
as the schedule has been updated yesterday. Basically,
we will be certifying two builds (RC, FCS) and our response will
be needed in two surveys (the final Community Acceptance and
Satisfaction survey). It would be nice, if you could allocate
some time for these 4 remaining tasks.
- We would like to once again thank to all who contributed some
effort to the full testing of the IDE. In the last 3
weeks it was José Galaviz (API Support), Lehel Sipos
(Window System, Debugger), Manikantan Narender Nath
(Wizards, Options), Efrem McCrimon (Plugins Manager), Dhawal
Saiya (Web Client, Tasklist), James Powell
(Subversion), Marco Molteni (CVS), Marcin Starnacki
(Connected Developer, Profiler) and Benno Markiewicz
- If anyone is still willing to help with testing Subversion,
Unit Testing support on Windows 7, Debugger or GUI Builder on
Windows 8, or CVS - please let me know ASAP. These features
represent the last not tested 1%. Thanks!
- Marco Molteni and Marcin Starnacki both reviewed
1 tutorial which means we have already 108 tutorials.
There are still only 10 NoGo verdicts and Marcin is still the
most productive contributor with 26 reviews, followed by Marco
(25) and Efrem McCrimon with 17 reviews. Thank you guys!
- Michael Müller pointed out that division of
projects into categories was not logical. While Ant based
Java project resides under Java >
Java Application, the Maven based one can be
found under Maven > Java
Application. He suggested to join both wizards
and let user choose the build system in a new wizard step.
Michael, have you filed this issue already?
- Some people were complaining about issues with netbeans.org infrastructure.
Javier Ortiz was not able to use the zip distributions. Michael
Müller couldn't install JUnit plugin due to not working deadlock.netbeans.org and Michael
Nascimento warned that Bugzilla was down. Everything
should be back to normal.
- Please note that since December 21st, we disabled
installation of NetBeans IDE on Mac OS X with JDK 7 Update
9 or older (#218822).
A workaround is to use JDK 6 or JDK 7 Update 10.
- If you also look forward to deploying your web/enterprise
applications to GlassFish 4, you must be patient. We
will certainly not bundle GlassFish 4 with NetBeans 7.3, because
it will not be final in time. However, you can play with it and
test new Java EE 7 features if you install a special
branch build .
- With 7.3 release going into the final phase we start
discussing various process issues and having a good Quality
is one of the topics. What are your thoughts on this? How do you
personally evaluate new IDE release and decide that its quality
is good enough for your production development? Should we
continue using P3 targets? Or any inspiration from other open
3. Bug hunting
- Many NetCAT participants encountered java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
when closing Maven project(s) - #223309.
We now have a special log from Tomas Danek, which will
hopefully reveal where the problem lies. Please stay tuned.
- Instead of the end of the world on 12/21/2012, Michael
Nascimento experienced frozen IDE when he invoked
Git > Diff (#224114).
The proper fix was incremental but we believe it should not
happen again. Michael?
- Michael found many other serious bugs like Call Hierarchy
sometimes ignoring exact context (#224092),
poor searching capability of the Find Issues component (#224240)
or missing usecase in the _expression_ Language Rename
All these and many other Michael's bugs were fixed already.
Thanks for your help Michael!
- Benno Markiewicz discovered why NetBeans does not
sometimes restart for example after importing options (#224082).
This regression in Module System has been resolved
yesterday. Can you please verify the fix?
- Thomas Kruse noticed that Go to File feature
This bug needs more investigation.
- Michael Nascimento was the best bug reporter of the
previous 3 weeks as he reported 21 bugs.
- 10 high priority bugs were filed during the holiday season and
8 of them were fixed. That's a productivity, isn't it? :-)
4. Statistics (3 weeks)
- 3 participants filed 1 bug each on Christmas Eve: Pavel
Selivanov, Michael Müller and Edson Richter.
What a passion for the NetBeans project! Thanks for the
Christmas gifts guys! :-)
About this Project