[73cat] Re: [news] Status Report #10

  • From: Benno Markiewicz < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [73cat] Re: [news] Status Report #10
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 21:55:20 +0100

Hi Jirka.
I would like to volonteer for

Favorites & Templates view (15 minutes),
Java Help (15 minutes),
Utilities (15 minutes)

How can i help? What can i do and how?

Greetings markiewb

Am 27.11.2012 16:00 schrieb "Jiří Kovalský" < "> >:
Hello NetCAT team,

let's take a look at common achievements from the previous week.

1. Overall summary

Code Freeze milestone for 7.3 release is rapidly approaching however reaching quality criteria [1] too.  :-) In the last week 326 bugs were reported (56 by NetCAT, 156 by other community members) and developers were able to resolve 516 issues. Overall activity slightly increased to 301 BETs (Bug/Email/Tutorial points = 3 * #bugs + #emails + 5 * #tutorial reviews ;-) ) which was achieved by 22 bug reporters, 24 e-mail writers and 2 tutorial reviewers. This confirms our long term experience that ~40% of NetCAT participants join the program for unknown reasons. On the other hand we are very grateful for those 20% who keep contributing throughout the whole NetCAT cycle. Comparison charts are attached again for your information. A handful of participants helped with full testing of 7.3 development builds which turns the progress tracking spreadsheet more and more green. Please keep up as we are still not there!

[1] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeans_73_Quality_Criteria

2. Important stuff
  • The following people already contributed to making sure that 7.3 will be well tested prior to its release: Hermien Pellissier, Dhawal Saiya, Manikantan Narender Nath, Paolo Scarabelli, Medea Gugushvili, William Bacchi, Lehel Sipos + few more participants promised to send their reports once their testing is completed. Although we managed to decrease number of not tested features (now 33%) it seems like we will not make everything in the next 12 days. Or I am just too sceptical? :-\
  • There has been some coordination among GUI Builder, Web Client, PHP, CND and DB tribe members. Any more actual status update on these areas?
  • This week we are looking for volunteers who would take a look at Plugins Manager (2.5 hours), Favorites & Templates view (15 minutes), Files & Projects view (1 hour), Java Help (15 minutes), Utilities (15 minutes), Properties (1 hour) and Internationalization (30 minutes). Anyone interested to take something?
  • Review of tutorials [2] progressed further thanks to Marco Molteni (3 reviews) and Efrem McCrimon (1 review) so we are at 98 processed documents! It seems like the current ranking will change next week  ;-) : Marcin Starnacki (23 reviews), Marco (22), Yonathan Weldegebriel (15), Efrem (13). If you want to learn something new, there are still 20+ free tutorials waiting for your attention.
[2] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeansTutorialsForCommunityReview
  • José Galaviz improved nicely his test specification for Groovy/Grails support [3] by incorporating feedback from his virtual colleagues. Thanks José!
[3] http://wiki.netbeans.org/TS_73_GroovyGrails_Sanity
  • When translating your forms be careful to have property files named correctly otherwise your bundles will not be recognized by GUI Builder. Besides, Mark Wilmoth warned that moving i18n-ed form sometimes ignores bundles (#222568).
  • Thomas Kruse complained that NetBeans felt sluggish in his environment (#221862) and attached several profiling snapshots confirming his disappointment. If you also need big screens a workaround is to use non-GTK look & feel or JDK 6. Unfortunately, we can hardly do anything about it ourselves. :-(
  • Manikantan suggested that the Java hint for creating a new class should be configurable (#222748) with regards to desired project, package and access. You can second this idea by your vote too.
  • Javier Ortiz couldn't start his IDE due to some module loading problems however nobody else confirmed this. The good news is that publishing development builds has been resumed on weekend.
3. Bug hunting
  • Already three participants reported a broken import of 7.2 settings into 7.3 (#222499): Gontran Baerts, Medea Gugushvili and Junming Guan. We cannot unfortunately reproduce the java.io.FileNotFoundException so any help with finding the problematic procedure is much appreciated!
  • Hermien discovered that automatic downloading of NetBeans platform via Ant stopped to work in 7.3 (#222711). This regression needs more investigation.
  • Paolo changed his mind when deleting an Oracle Thin DB driver in Services view but NetBeans ignored his "No" answer and deleted the node anyway (#222524). We fix such serious and reproducible bugs with a speed of light. :-)
  • One day Anders Kobberup's Editor deadlocked but when this happened again Anders didn't hesitate and correctly took a thread dump and filed it (#222651). It's true that at that time the bug was already fixed but Anders couldn't verify it due to broken publishing of builds.
  • Lehel Sipos noticed that Add from * buttons in the Palette Manager act like a broken record (#222614). Users have only one choice per IDE session to push the right button. We are looking into this to have a fix ready for 7.3.
  • Xavier Figueroa wanted to save some time by quickly generating getters in his newly created class but NetBeans delayed him by throwing java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException instead (#222631). Thanks to Xavier's report we all can now use the feature without any doubt. :-)
  • Kit McCormick couldn't deploy his web application into Tomcat 7 due to a java.lang.NullPointerException (#222550). We fixed this simply by updating nashorn.jar library. :-)
  • Best bug reporter of the previous week was Benno Markiewicz with 6 reported bugs mainly against the Java Editor even including 2 patches!
  • 4 high priority bugs were filed last week and one of them was fixed.
4. Statistics

Bugs submitted: 839
(+56)
Open bugs: 209