[73cat] Re: [news] Status Report #9

  • From: Hermien Pellissier < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [73cat] Re: [news] Status Report #9
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:23:03 +0200

Hi Dhawal,

I have tested the output window on Windows 7. But feel free to also test in on Windows XP. :)

Best wishes,
Hermien

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Dhawal Saiya < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

I am available and would like to test task list and output window.

Regards,
Dhawal

--Sent from android phone. Please excuse any typos.

On Nov 21, 2012 1:23 AM, "Jiří Kovalský" < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hello NetCAT team,

it's the right time for the regular cup of NetCAT news again.

1. Overall summary

It's been already the third week in NetCAT 7.3 when more bugs were filed than e-mails exchanged. Fortunately, it's not that many so the total bug count went down again. 21 NetCAT participants reported ~8.3 bugs daily so together with 174 bugs from other community and 115 bugs from Oracle engineers the income stopped at 347 new bugs. NetBeans developers resolved 451 bugs. The traffic on mailing list was so low that I thought the mailing server was down.  :-) 18 participants generated only ~5.3 messages per day. We wish the full testing has been progressing smoothly however reality is different. Even though the testing is the primary goal now 3 tutorials reviews were contributed. Several OOMEs occurred again, problems with IDE/GF installation were mentioned and some participants suggested to support more application servers. If you are interested to know more, continue reading below.

2. Important stuff
  • Full testing of 7.3 development builds is slowly going on but the progress is not as good as we would need. We only have 3 weeks left but ~40% of the whole IDE functionality still has not been tested.  :-\ If compared with 7.2 release, we left only 4% untested. Besides, the total time to test important features on one platform increased from 179 hours (7.2) to 184 hours (7.3). Finally, in 7.3 there are 28% of features not tested by anyone whereas it was only 17% not covered in 7.2.
  • According to the latest information the following tribes are participating in the full test: API Support, Debugger, PHP, GUI Builder, CND, DB and Groovy. I have no status update from these tribes: Maven, CVS and Web Client. Could leaders of these teams coordinate this testing and Cc: me in the communication? Thanks!
  • So far the best work comes from Debugger and API Support tribes. I would like to especially appreciate work of Dhawal Saiya, William Bacchi and Hermien Pellissier, who already greened their first cells [1]. If you finished your part, don't forget to do the same. If you don't know how, just let me know!
[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AldAQCUifMrFdE8zM091UWpkRmhpUWQ0WUprQ1IzSnc
  • We are looking for volunteers who would test the following features (required time is in parenthesis): Wizards (15 minutes), Quick Search (15 minutes), Options (30 minutes), Plugin Manager (2.5 hours), Output Window (12 minutes), Task List (30 minutes) and Java Help (15 minutes). Please raise your hand if you are available! Thanks a 10e6!
  • Efrem McCrimon not being a member of any tribe could afford contribution of 3 tutorial reviews [2] which strengthened his 4th place after Marcin Starnacki (23 reviews), Marco Molteni (19) and Yonathan Weldegebriel (15). So, currently there are 94 unique tutorials reviewed with still only 9 NoGo verdicts. 6 more to 100! ;-)
[2] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeansTutorialsForCommunityReview
  • Angelo Quaglia repeated that installation of GlassFish Update Center failed in his environment due to 404: Not Found HTTP error. We cannot reproduce it though. Are you behind a Proxy or connected to the Internet directly? If this still does not work, please file a new bug Angelo.
  • Lehel Sipos couldn't install JDK 7 Update 10 on his Windows XP due to Error 1316. A network error occurred... problem. This seems like a Windows specific problem though. Microsoft recommends to un-install the JDK in Add or Remove Programs feature in Control Panel and then give it another try.
  • There was a discussion about application servers. It's okay that you don't see Tomcat as an option when creating an Enterprise Application. Only GlassFish supports EARs however several participants required to extend the offering with TomEE (#212198) and JBoss (#200132). Should TomEE replace Tomcat in Servers or just complement it?
  • If you like Manikantan Narender Nath use your own Maven, don't be surprised that now it's not detected automatically in the Options. You can still browse to its location though.
  • Finally, according to José Galaviz, no servers were registered when he installed #201211170002. Has anyone seen this? Does it work in #201211200002 José?
3. Bug hunting
  • Augusto Campos noticed he always ended up with a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError if his big PHP project was being indexed (#222267). Obviously his *.js file with almost 1 million characters  =-O is too much for Garbage Collector. We are looking into this.
  • Marcin and Junming Guan both reported that opening a database threw java.lang.IllegalStateException (#221817). This should be fixed already. Can you guys please verify the fix? Thanks a lot!
  • Kent Grundström found a regression in Java Debugger throwing java.lang.AssertionError when Security Manager was used (#222077). The fix is waiting for your verification Kent. Thank you!
  • Stefan Wilfling added a new method to an already implemented Interface which made IDE unusable ultimately leading to a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError (#222114). We must balance Low Memory Watcher better to avoid such problems. Great report Stefan!
  • Eugen-Andrei Gavriloaie complained that he was not able to reformat his *.cc file (#222337) however we cannot reproduce it. We will give it more tries.
  • Michael Nascimento's IDE deadlocked while organizing import statements (#221940). The buggy UI Handler does no longer hurry with update of the tooltip and you know what's needed Michael, right?  :-) Thanks!
  • Best bug reporter of the previous week was Edson Richter with 9 reported bugs mainly against the Java Editor.
  • 5 high priority bugs were filed last week and two of them were fixed.
4. Statistics

Bugs submitted: 793 (+58)
Open bugs: 218 (2/6/174/36)
E-mails: 1059 (+37)