[71cat] [news] Status Report #1

  • From: Jiří Kovalský < >
  • To: NetCAT team < >
  • Subject: [71cat] [news] Status Report #1
  • Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 22:23:46 +0200

Hello NetCAT team,

   this is our first status report that I will be compiling every Tuesday to summarize everything important that happened in the previous week, what's going on and what is ahead of us. I hope you will find it useful.

1. Overall summary

   The NetCAT 7.1 program officially started on August 29. This time formation of the NetCAT team took longer than usually but we already have critical mass  ;-) as to date 96 testers registered. I would like to ask all subscribers of this list to make sure that you added your entry to the registration Wiki otherwise you will not be treated as NetCAT participants. Stabilization of Beta ended as it was released yesterday. Activity of NetCAT team is at normal values with ~14.3 sent e-mails daily and ~13.6 new bugs daily. This is expected though as high traffic from the first weeks already faded away. Let's elaborate important stuff in more detail below.

2. Important stuff
  • We have finally finished stabilization of NetBeans 7.1 Beta and released it yesterday. Everyone who took the time and helped with testing Beta candidate please accept our gratitude. But hey this is just a beginning! :-)
  • Aligned with Beta we have cleared the Wiki for review of tutorials [1] and asked you for another kind of help, which is suitable especially for those who want to learn new technologies on examples. So, don't wait and choose your tutorial today!
[1] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NetBeansTutorialsForCommunityReview
  • If you are interested to join some NetCAT tribe, please monitor this list. Later this week I am going to start organizing the teams.
  • Torsten Paul initiated an interesting thread about Java Refactoring features. According to his own investigations "Refactor > Inline..." function generates broken code. Mark Wilmoth added that renaming of project/package throws AssertionError (#193261). Torsten, you didn't file the problems yet, did you?
  • Tomas Pavek spent several weeks by bug fixing Swing GUI Builder. Now we would like to ask all Swing UI developers to test thoroughly that building forms is a piece of cake and changing layout of components works smoothly. This will be the main task for GUI Builder tribe once it is created BTW. ;-)
  • 7 participants complained about noticable performance degradation between daily builds and Beta. We would like to take this feedback seriously but only Dhawal Saiya provided some concrete data. Other "IDE is slow" statements are vague and not helpful. What is needed are full thread dumps (FTD) [2], videos, descriptions of what exactly is slow plus your configuration or measurements ideally compared with 7.0.1 release. Please keep this in mind when you encounter some slowness. Thank you!
[2] http://wiki.netbeans.org/GenerateThreadDump
  • FYI, Tushar Joshi and his team agreed to help with writing a brand new test specification for NetBeans Platform [3], which will contain newly implemented features like separated cache directory, enhanced window system or others. Now this is really cool!
[3] http://wiki.netbeans.org/NewAndNoteworthyNB71#Platform_.26_NetBeans_Module_Development
3. Bug hunting
  • Mohamed Chebbi & Yonathan Weldegebriel were first who reported NPE that occurred after restart of IDE with opened JSP file (#202714). Although we fixed it on the same day the bug was left in the Beta. :-\
  • Yonathan also discovered regression in HTML module causing palette to be empty (#202726). This bug was accepted as valid showstopper and fixed in Beta. Good job!
  • Holger Stenzhorn must have been surprised when Local History opened after calling "Edit server.xml" action on his Tomcat server instance (#202766).  :-) This regression has also been fixed.
  • Timon Veenstra is truly an excellent tester. Take a look at his perfect bug report #202944 about UI lock when renaming a resource package in Maven based NetBeans module. We are investigating...
  • Michael Müller played a while with GlassFish v3 integration and it was enough to file several bugs. Fortunately, the most serious one #202857 about no way to start GlassFish from within the IDE was promptly fixed.
  • We have noticed that Carlos Klock spent considerable time by evaluating many issues - he closed several bugs as INCOMPLETE, changed Target Milestones etc. While we certainly appreciate this effort we want to ask you to only change these bug properties if you know exactly what you are doing otherwise we will have to revert such modifications and time is wasted. Thanks a lot!
  • Best bug reporter of the previous week was Michael Müller with incredible record of 28 reported bugs.
4. Statistics
Bugs submitted:    380 (+95)
Open bugs:            174 (1/7/144/22)
E-mails:                 780 (+100)