[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

  • From: "Fabrizio Giudici" < >
  • To: " " < >, "Thomas Wolf" < >
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:46:59 +0100

On Fri, 04 Jan 2013 22:37:45 +0100, Thomas Wolf
< >
 wrote:

Hi,
I finally decided that the SSD on my Mac is getting too much of a beating by my constant "Clean and Build" of a 4400 java file project and created a RAM disk on machine, hoping that I could setup NB to do its building there instead of $HOME/NettBeansProjects/<myproject>/build/ - but I don't see any GUI-based option to do that. Do I have to modify build.xml to do that (if so, how? I don't know ant well enough). Similarly - and if feasible - I'd love to get NB to write its index/cache to this RAM disk as well. How would I do that? For what it's worth, I have my RAM disk mounted under /private/tmp/.

I rarely turn off my laptop, so I don't care if NB has to occasionally rebuild its cache or I lose built files due to such shutdowns.

Any info/suggestion is much appreciated.

For the cache, it's simple: just prepare a script to run whenever you restart, that creates the required empty folders and then link them from the current .netbeans/... directory.

For the build directory, it's a matter to change your build.xml stuff. It's probably not the best idea... I tried a few years ago and then I gave up. At the time I was searching for better speed than the magnetic disc, then I went for SSD and I'm ok. Perhaps I should worry about hitting it too... who knows?

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."

[nbusers] how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Thomas Wolf 01/04/2013

[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Dan Halbert 01/04/2013

[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Thomas Wolf 01/04/2013

[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Thomas Wolf 01/04/2013

[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Fabrizio Giudici 01/04/2013

[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Antonio Varela 01/04/2013

[nbusers] Re: how to configure NB to use RAM disk?

Fabrizio Giudici 01/05/2013