[nbusers] Re: Where to install Netbeans

  • From: Wade Chandler < >
  • To: "nbusers@netbeans org" < >
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: Where to install Netbeans
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:44:52 -0500

Well I doubt your machine is multi user, so just install it somewhere under your user home. I have a directory called Applications under mine where I put things....even my JDK since I will want to use visual vm and other debug tools which will want to configure it. Just makes it easier if not a multi user machine and I don't plan on running any system wide Java services.

Now of course if you install NB to usr/local it will be fine. Plugins and other things will install to your user directory since your installation folder will be read only to your user processes. Just remember to run the install with sudu or as root. If you need to modify netbeans.conf at some point just edit it as root, and you'll be fine.

So...it really boils down to what you want to do, and what you are comfortable with.

Wade

=================

Wade Chandler
Software Engineer/Consultant
www.wadechandler.com

NetBeans Dream Team Member
NetBeans Contributor
www.netbeans.org

On Jan 30, 2013 6:28 PM, "korrigan" < "> > wrote:
I'm planning on installing Netbeans 7.2.1 on my Ubuntu 12.10. So far I've already installed JDK 7u11 without any problems and already downloaded Netbeans from Oracle site.

My question is this where should I install Netbeans? Should I accept the default /usr/local/netbeans-7.2.1 or should I change this path to my /home?

I'm questioning because someone told me not to install it in the default proposed installation path because later on I’ll be more than likely to run into permissions problems down the line. Working with Netbeans I would not have permissions to write in that folder thus disabling me from adding Libraries to my projects, installing and uninstalling plugins to the IDE, and even with Glassfish server configuration.

I've googled in order to cast a light on my doubts to no avail. The only thing I found was http://forums.netbeans.org/ntopic37298.html, at Netbeans forum which brought even some more doubts.

Can anyone help me?

[nbusers] Where to install Netbeans

korrigan 01/30/2013