[nbusers] Re: Pop-up help for NetBeans-7.2.1 ?

  • From: Ion Iovu < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: Pop-up help for NetBeans-7.2.1 ?
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 00:30:39 +0200

John,

I understand you see tool tips for specific components only if the component's parent window has focus.

This must be a swing thing rather then a NetBeans Platform issue.
You can check that by launching the following swing/no netbeans applicationĀ http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorialJWS/uiswing/components/ex6/ButtonDemo.jnlp

I suspect you're on linux.

I am using a mac and this occurs here as well. This is part of the mac model (no tool tips are shown for windows without focus no matter the application)

On the bright side: Linux and Mac have scrolling in panes without the parent window having focus. Windows has a model that prevents that.
I am also a Linux user so I'm not ranting here: Linux has as many models as there are window managers. Instead of going crazy, the swing developers had to make some decisions and that might be one of them: tooltips on focus only.

Regards

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:35 PM, John Coleman < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:07:37 -0500
John Coleman < "> > wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing a prerequisite for NetBeans-7.2.1 ? But I don't have
> any pop-up help showing when the mouse hovers over an IDE icon. There
> are a lot of icons and I have no idea what they do until I click them.
> Often the action performed is not desired.

pop-up help = hints

Hints are shown when NetBeans first starts executing.
Once the NetBeans main window loses focus, IE if I open a mail client or
open NetBeans 'Open Project' dialog box, Hints are no longer shown.

Until I click on the Textual menu bar. I don't have to select an
action. But hinting starts working again. Until I select another
applications' window. Then it stops working again.

BTW, I don't have this problem with LibreOffice. I can shift away from
that application. Then back again. And it's hints work fine.

[nbusers] Pop-up help for NetBeans-7.2.1 ?

John Coleman 01/02/2013

[nbusers] Re: Pop-up help for NetBeans-7.2.1 ?

John Coleman 01/02/2013

[nbusers] Re: Pop-up help for NetBeans-7.2.1 ?

Ion Iovu 01/02/2013