[nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

  • From: "Fabrizio Giudici" < >
  • To: , "Gregg Wonderly" < >,
  • Cc: "Ken Tanaka - NOAA Affiliate" < >
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 22:25:24 +0100

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:41:21 +0100, Gregg Wonderly < > wrote:

Apple has stated, no Java will be supported on iOS. This is similar to the flash issue. They really don't like for large 3rd party software systems to be used on their products, because then they can only fix bugs on those platforms when the 3rd party provides the fix, or they have to spend money making the fix and then supporting integration back into the 3rd party's tree.

I'm a Java fan. If one had the energy, you could, perhaps port Java to iOS, but I'm guessing that it would be very burdensome to do. OF course, when iOS was first starting up, Sun said "We will put Java on the iPhone", but alas, they haven't be able to do that, and not too long after that, Apple said, no "interpreters" or other non-native languages will be allowed in Apps going through the App store process.

Of course, there could be an enterprise development team which has developed a port of Java to iOS and is using it for their own internal use.

I believe that a certain point Sun did have a prototype running on iOS. THe point is - there's no meaning in releasing it since Apple would keep it banned, so I think they have put the thing into the freezer years ago. There's the Google project I mentioned previously, which supports Java to native code translation, UI excluded.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."

[nbusers] NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

ellias2007 01/07/2013

[nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

Valere DEJARDIN 01/08/2013

[nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

Fabrizio Giudici 01/08/2013

[nbusers] NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

ellias2007 01/08/2013

[nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

Ken Tanaka - NOAA Affiliate 01/08/2013

[nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

Gregg Wonderly 01/08/2013

[nbusers] Re: NetBeans and iPad Friendship !

Fabrizio Giudici 01/08/2013

www was started in November 2009, is owned by jpirek, and has 25 members.
By use of this website, you agree to the NetBeans Policies and Terms of Use (revision 20150226.965aeb8). © 2014, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Sponsored by Oracle logo