[nbusers] Re: setting repository for SubVersion

  • From: Ion Iovu < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: setting repository for SubVersion
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 04:26:04 +0200

Angelo,

In a Subversion set-up there is one server and one or more clients.
As discussed, the client part is covered by NetBeans IDE. You will act like a client when you will perform svn operations like check in (commit,) check out, update etc.

You need a Subversion server as well. Only one.
Both VisualSVN and Collabnet Subversion Edge are servers. Therefore you only need one of them.
The former is a simple Start'n'Go solution. The latter is feature reach, but also requires the user to know and understand more concepts.

I suggest that you decide on which you want to go for and leave the other aside.
As to which option I suggest, I have no experience with any of the options we are discussing, because suversion servers on Linux were the best fit for my needs.
I expect VisualSVN to be the simpler/better option for you. You already played with both, you should already have a preference.

Regards

On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM, "> < " target="_blank"> > wrote:

> there is a reason why the documentation describes the svn client part: NetBeans IDE can act only as a client.
> The IDE documentation has to start somewhere. The user is considered to know basic things about subversion when he engages in using it.
> And for good reason. If you never heard of subversion, the best place to look in is subversion documentation.
> If the NetBeans team would document all the external tools they are working on, there would hardly be left any resource for developing NetBeans itself. And they do put tremendous effort.

> The good news is that there are mail lists where you can get useful references. Don't hesitate to ask

> Regards

> > Angelo,
> > you only have a svn client. The svn client can only do only basic things, it does communicate with the server, however it won't be able to set up a svn repository.
> > The task of maintaining a svn repository falls into a svn server's reponsabilities.

> > Short steps to follow:
> > Install VisualSVN, set up a repository, commit/check in the sources of the existing project.

> > In longer terms, also if you find struggling with the above steps, I suggest giving the first two chapters of the svn redbook a quick read.

> > Regards

= = = = = =

just a little thing Ion..

I installed both VisualSVN Server and CollabNet Subversion Edge.

Now I have to "put VisualSVN Server on the road" creating    repositories, users and groups....

I saw that CollabNet Subversion Edge already created a directory named repository..:
C:\Program Files\controlVersion_Client_X_NetBeans\cvs\data\repositories.
(other directories of the same level are: certs, conf, dumps, logs, run, teamgorge, svn_client_config)

I would ask you if this directory have some kind of connection with the repository that  have to be created with VisualSVN Server.

thank you
Regards
Angelo

[nbusers] Re: setting repository for SubVersion

12/01/2012

[nbusers] Re: setting repository for SubVersion

Ion Iovu 12/03/2012

<Possible follow-up(s)>

[nbusers] Re: setting repository for SubVersion

12/03/2012