[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA

  • From: Edson Richter < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:48:55 -0200

Em 27/11/2012 15:37, Ion Iovu escreveu:
" type="cite">Francesco,
in case it's of any help, I too have faught in the last 7 years.  I made the switch from IDEA at that time. IDEA was bulky for me. Although feature rich, it consumed all the resources a computer had (good computers at that time)
Everybody's telling how feature rich IDEA is, but I didn't see it that way. As I moved to NetBeans there were only few things to miss.

I don't want to bash anybody, but the Eclipse guys that I worked with especially have this itch of spreading their Eclipse religion. I even worked in a project that was mavenized and still I got remarks from here and there.

Here are my conclusions after some years:
- If you do your job well and on time there is no need to worry.
- a professional chooses the tooling that fit him best. You don't call a plumber to fix a pipe and expressly require that he uses the tools you provide.
- ask everybody in the team to switch IDE's, and you'll switch too: IDEA users switching to Eclipse and Eclipse users switching to IDEA, then you'll switch to one of them. See reactions, observe.
-There are projects built from ground up in Eclipse. e.g. no programmer using other IDE ever worked on that project. And then it uses some in-house Domain Specific Language and a plugin is available only for Eclipse. What do you do? Implement a plugin for NetBeans? Not before you become a maven on that DSL. Use Eclipse. Or find another project.
- In term of editors, if Notepad had completion Eclipse users could switch with no problem. You could start a war with that, I suggest to not use it.

Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one that share this vision!
I've been using Eclipse for years (because I'm forced to), and I feel it like "NotePad with steroids" - Eclipse is good for typewriters, but when you have to start integrating the several plugins, you get lost. There are all kind of incompatibilities (one example: you can't use GWT plugin with 64bit Eclipse).

Hahaha, using the idea of "religion", they said they have many profets ("plugins"), but most of them won't work togheter, because need different versions of god...

Good, I also don't want to start a "flame war", but I'll stick with NetBeans for a long, long, long time. And version 7.3 is promising: the new _javascript_ debugger is amazing!

Regards,

Edson

" type="cite">

Regards

Francisco Diaz Trepat - g wrote:
> Hi guys, I'm your only voice at work, and not a good one, I'm always taking punches for using a different IDE, everyone uses IDEA or ecplise and I use netbeans since 4.6 probably.
>
> But since I never used another IDE I don't know what to reply.
>

> If there are any converted among you please tell me some comparisons that would be nice to say.
>

> In what way is Netbeans better that IDEA?
>

> eclipse is such a hastle with plugin failing without any trace of error than I don't have too much trouble with it.
>

> thanks,
> f.

[nbusers] Netbeans Vs IDEA

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail 11/23/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA

Ed Hillmann 11/25/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA

trhouse 11/25/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA

Benno Markiewicz 11/26/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA

trhouse 11/27/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA

Francisco Diaz Trepat - gmail 11/27/2012

<Possible follow-up(s)>

[nbusers] Netbeans Vs IDEA

kimp_07 11/27/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans Vs IDEA