[nbusers] OT: NetBeans x commercial stuff

  • From: Edson Richter < >
  • To: " " < >
  • Subject: [nbusers] OT: NetBeans x commercial stuff
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 11:11:43 -0200

Dear friends,

I've heard in this list some absurd statements coming from people unprepared for a fair judgment of languages and tools.
First of all, I'm not a Doctorate in this matter, neither I intend to be.

But I've lots of experience, with COBOL, BASIC, Assembly Z-80, Dbase (and his family like Clipper, FoxPro, Visual FoxPro), C, C++, Pascal, Delphi, Forth, MS Visual Basic, MS Visual C++, MS Visual Basic.NET, MS Visual C#, and Java (1.0, 1.1, 2, 5, 6, 7). And all kind of IDEs: Microsoft Visual tools, Borland IDEs, Symantec IDEs, Rational family (before and pos IBM), Oracle JDeveloper, Forte 4 Java, NetBeans (before Sun), Eclipse (before and after OpenSource), and finally, NetBeans (as we know). I do also have formal academic knowledge in programming, for those who care about it (at my current stage of life, I valuate more field experience).

That said, what I have to share is the following knowledge:

a) Currently we have two great open source IDE for Java: NetBeans and Eclipse. Both offer the biggest number of programmer tools, being the former offering more visual tools, and the later bare bone programming tools. I do prefer the first because it's simplicity (where Eclipse has a complex interface, IMHO). I do use both on daily basis. Both does not comes with "strings attached", which means, you can create your own architecture - and this demands several hours of exhaustive engineering and architecture planning. It is not a matter of sit and start creating the biggest system ever, you will have to sit and think before start.

b) Commercial IDEs offer you the ability to sit and start - since you use the provided "framework" (what means, you have strings attached to your hands). You will find difficulties whenever you try to do something on your own - like "extending" the framework. Advantages is that great engineers already done the hard work on thinking in generalist architectures that just works for most cases (once you don't do anything really really innovative - at least from programming point of view).

You can, of course, use the commercial IDEs without relying on provided frameworks, but then you will discover that their tooling is poor, and you are missing a lot.
At other side, you can use open source IDEs with several existing frameworks (check SourceForge, there are dozens there), but there are no strings attached: you have freedom to innovate and even change the framework to your needs.

My current developing systems are mostly written in Java, using GWT for UI, and JSP/Servlets for server side. But we also offer interfaces written in Visual Basic.Net, PHP, and web services compatible with all languages and platforms (and sample programs for all, Linux, Windows, Android, iPad, etc). This is really complex, because you have to think about cryptography, networking, proxies, firewalls, operating systems, memory resources, screen sizes, etc.

Normally you will need all of above, it is a wild ecosystem out there.

The bottom line is: before start a discussion "this is best than this", think on what you really need.

If you need a fast prototype of something, use a commercial IDE with provided framework and tooling (like MS Visual tools).
If you need to create a complex innovative and durable system, don't choose too fast. Make some test cases, do not rely on the propaganda you heard. You probably will need everything.

Regards,

Edson

[nbusers] OT: NetBeans x commercial stuff