[nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

  • From: trhouse < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 08:38:32 -0700

Hey Edsen!

 Nope it was right here:

Hi all,
I downloaded NB today. I am on Win 7, latest version all updates etc. I have jdk707 which I downloaded with NB.

Don't get me wrong.. I totally am loving Netbeans so far and it seems like it's probably suitable for forming the basis of a rich client, it's just that that client is all about ... editing text ... doh! :) .

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 8:21 AM, Edson Richter < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
You have told us which OS you don't have (Apple), but have not said what you have.
I suspect it is Linux or Solaris, right?
I had similar problems when I've not installed TrueType fonts in X. Install TrueType fonts and also, check if you have installed and started "xfs". Also, enable Clear Type font rendering (or whatever similar option you need)
Now, if you are using Windows (XP or 7) goes to Performance control panel, enable "Rounded fonts", and in Screen configuration, enable Clear Type font rendering.

After that, you will need to restart your X or your Windows, and run NetBeans again.

Regards,

Edson

Em 12/10/2012 17:55, trhouse escreveu:

Hi all,
 I downloaded NB today. I am on Win 7, latest version all updates etc. I have jdk707 which I downloaded with NB.

My problem is, the fonts I see in NB just can't be right. I am confident most people would rate them as unusable. I am not an Apple user or anything like that.. just anything is OK with me, but this is really terrible.

I include a couple of screen captures so as to spare you my describing what I see.

I tried editing the conf file in various ways as found online and in forums which I am sure you're familiar with, with zero improvement.

I also included a screen shot of just plain old Swing font rendering on the same machine same JDK .. it's a from demo jnlp from Oracle's site. The fonts in that demo program look A-OK by me, but I am not fussy about fonts.

Nevertheless, this just can't be right.

I've tried the top-level things you might suggest I tried all different fonts.I tried different sizes. I tried different JDKs. I fiddled with conf (NetBeans 7.2\etc\netbeans.conf),  with the -J-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=lcd (the last place I set it to but it's been everything more or less)

Fiddling with that has a bad smell anyways; I think NB doesn't intend for you to have to do it,  the defaults just ought to work for almost everyone, right?  I have a completely modern machine in every way you can think of. At this point, actually I am totally stumped.

What I am hoping is someone familiar  with this will take one look at my screenshot and say "Oh. that's THIS  thing".

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely....

[nbusers] Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

trhouse 10/12/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

Edson Richter 10/13/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

trhouse 10/13/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

Edson Richter 10/13/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

trhouse 10/14/2012

[nbusers] Re: Netbeans rendering on WIndows 7

Edson Richter 10/14/2012