[nbusers] Slow linking with remote development

  • From: John Ousterhout < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbusers] Slow linking with remote development
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 17:28:21 -0700

I am using NetBeans 7.2 with remote development (IDE on Windows 7 laptop, build/test on a Linux server) and file copying, and I'm experiencing very slow link times: under NetBeans the link step takes 3-4 minutes, whereas it takes 5-10 secs. if I run it manually on the server. Is this a known problem, and is there any way to make it faster? I'm wondering if this is perhaps caused by RFS interposition (there are about 250 object files in the link step). I have also tried using system-level file sharing instead of file copying, but unfortunately that is even slower (the file sharing happens via Samba over ssh, which is painfully slow).

[nbusers] Slow linking with remote development

John Ousterhout 08/29/2012