[nbusers] Re: My membership

  • From: Edson Richter < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbusers] Re: My membership
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 17:31:37 -0300

" type="cite">
I would like to be removed from the mailing list of Netbeans users. Until Oracle calms down on the changes to Java, I will not be learning it. While under this state of flux, it is impossible to learn the language because it seems to be changing daily and I cannot keep up with the changes while trying to learn it. I hope the day comes when the development platform is stable enough to be worthy of learning. Until then, I would like to remain off the list of Netbeans users.

Thank you very much.

Lawrence L. Morton Jr.

Lawrence,

Please be aware that the Java Language changed very little since first lauch, more than 15 years ago.

Nevertheless, there is a vibrant community working on all kind of libraries, and almost all of them change on a daily basis.

Also, I would like to point out that most changes in Java are driven by the JCP (Java Community Process), where Oracle has representatives, but it's not only Oracle - most proeminent software players in the market has its own representatives there (including IBM, SAP, Microsoft, Google, Apache Group, JBoss Group, Hibernate Group, and so on).

It's your choice to start learning Java right now or not - I would tell you, sooner is better, but this is only my opinion.

Java terminology has its own world, and sometimes is confusing: Java (the language), Java Virtual Machine (the environment where to run apps), Java Standard API (libraries that can be found on any Java Virtual Machine), Java Bytecode (the "assembly" kind of language that programs will be converted to in order to run in the Java Virtual Machine), Java Extensions API (libraries that extends standard libraries with rich functionality), and so on.

I hope this helps to clarify a little bit.

Regards,

Edson

[nbusers] My membership

larry 07/31/2012