[nbdiscuss] Re: Proposal for extending the election term for the NetBeans Governance Board

  • From: Wade Chandler < >
  • To:
  • Cc: John Ceccarelli < >, John Yeary < >
  • Subject: [nbdiscuss] Re: Proposal for extending the election term for the NetBeans Governance Board
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:15:24 -0400

Sounds like a good idea to me. Voting every 6 months is a pita, and really, 6 months is a short term.

Wade

--

=================
Wade Chandler

Software Engineer and Consultant
NetBeans Contributor
NetBeans Dream Team Member

wadechandler.com
netbeans.org

On 03/15/2012 10:45 AM, John Ceccarelli wrote:
" type="cite"> Yes, Sven is making this request on behalf of the entire board.

Thanks,

-J

On 3/15/2012 7:29 AM, John Yeary wrote:
" type="cite">Though I am not a board member, I think that your proposal for a 12 month term makes more sense than six months.

I hope the other board members reach the same consensus and make the appropriate changes.

John
____________________________

John Yeary
____________________________
NetBeans Dream Team
President Greenville Java Users Group
Java Users Groups Community Leader
Java Enterprise Community Leader

____________________________

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Sven Reimers < "> > wrote:
Hi all,

the NetBeans Governance Board is starting the process for the election
of the next Board.

As part of this process I would like to propose the following change
to the actual rules:
- Extension of the term from now 6 months to 12 months, starting with
the new elected Board in about 2 months.

Reasoning:
After serving for nearly two terms on the Board and after discussions
in last term with Tom and this term with Zoran, we decided that having
a 12 months
term helps to get things done. If you are new to the Board you will
probably try to get some idea about Open Source, processes, community
or similar going.
With now monthly conference calls you end up with a long turn around
time (which you need, if you want Oracle buy in) until you get things
moving.

To give you an idea, let me give you an example. Starting new elected,
in the first call you establish the meeting procedure and other formal
stuff, maybe you state your ideas for you term. With the second call
you are getting into more details, trying to get some answers and
coordinate the effort. Now add 2 to 3 iterations and you are already
nearing the end of your term, before you can make sure that your
proposed changes will take place. If now a new board is elected - who
pursues your ideas and makes sure things really get done?

Based on this experience I propose the extension of the term to 12 months.

Based on your feedback the acting Governance Board will extend / not
extend the term for the next Board.

Let the discussion begin!

-Sven

--
Sven Reimers

* Senior Expert Software Architecture
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* NetBeans Governance Board Member: http://netbeans.org/about/os/governance.html
* Community Leader  NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
                              Desktop Java:
http://community.java.net/javadesktop
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009
* Blog: http://nbguru.blogspot.com

* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers

Join the NetBeans Groups:
* XING: http://www.xing.com/group-20148.82db20
* NUGM: http://haug-server.dyndns.org/display/NUGM/Home
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1860468
                   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=107402
                   http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1684717
* Oracle: https://mix.oracle.com/groups/18497

[nbdiscuss] Re: Proposal for extending the election term for the NetBeans Governance Board

Wade Chandler 04/19/2012

[nbdiscuss] Re: Proposal for extending the election term for the NetBeans Governance Board

Sven Reimers 04/19/2012