[nbdiscuss] Re: Proposal for extending the election term for the NetBeans Governance Board
- From: Wade Chandler <
- Cc: John Ceccarelli <
>, John Yeary <
- Subject: [nbdiscuss] Re: Proposal for extending the election term for the NetBeans Governance Board
- Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:15:24 -0400
Sounds like a good idea to me. Voting every 6 months is a pita, and
really, 6 months is a short term.|
Software Engineer and Consultant
NetBeans Dream Team Member
On 03/15/2012 10:45 AM, John Ceccarelli wrote:
Yes, Sven is making this request on behalf of the entire board.
On 3/15/2012 7:29 AM, John Yeary wrote:
type="cite">Though I am not a board member, I think that your
proposal for a 12 month term makes more sense than six months.
I hope the other board members reach the same consensus and
make the appropriate changes.
NetBeans Dream Team
President Greenville Java Users Group
Java Users Groups Community Leader
Java Enterprise Community Leader
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious
triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take
rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor
suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that
knows not victory nor defeat."
-- Theodore Roosevelt
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Sven
the NetBeans Governance Board is starting the process for
of the next Board.
As part of this process I would like to propose the
to the actual rules:
- Extension of the term from now 6 months to 12 months,
the new elected Board in about 2 months.
After serving for nearly two terms on the Board and after
in last term with Tom and this term with Zoran, we decided
a 12 months
term helps to get things done. If you are new to the Board
probably try to get some idea about Open Source,
or similar going.
With now monthly conference calls you end up with a long
time (which you need, if you want Oracle buy in) until you
To give you an idea, let me give you an example. Starting
in the first call you establish the meeting procedure and
stuff, maybe you state your ideas for you term. With the
you are getting into more details, trying to get some
coordinate the effort. Now add 2 to 3 iterations and you
nearing the end of your term, before you can make sure
proposed changes will take place. If now a new board is
elected - who
pursues your ideas and makes sure things really get done?
Based on this experience I propose the extension of the
term to 12 months.
Based on your feedback the acting Governance Board will
extend / not
extend the term for the next Board.
Let the discussion begin!
* Senior Expert Software Architecture
* NetBeans Dream Team Member: http://dreamteam.netbeans.org
* NetBeans Governance Board Member: http://netbeans.org/about/os/governance.html
* Community Leader NetBeans: http://community.java.net/netbeans
* Duke's Choice Award Winner 2009
* Blog: http://nbguru.blogspot.com
* XING: https://www.xing.com/profile/Sven_Reimers8
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/svenreimers
Join the NetBeans Groups:
* XING: http://www.xing.com/group-20148.82db20
* NUGM: http://haug-server.dyndns.org/display/NUGM/Home
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1860468
* Oracle: https://mix.oracle.com/groups/18497
About this Project