[nbdev] Re: MIT license resouce in CDDL-GPL-2-CP.

  • From: Emilian Bold < >
  • To:
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [nbdev] Re: MIT license resouce in CDDL-GPL-2-CP.
  • Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 21:32:00 +0300

This isn't really the best place to discuss licensing, perhaps  "> is a better list.

That being said, if licensing is so important it would be best to talk to some actual lawyer and not rely on advice from a mailing list which has only developers.

If you make a separate module, that's not a derivative work but just uses normal NetBeans APIs, you can license your code any way you see fit. If you distribute a whole 'work' that uses NetBeans code, you just elect CDDL for the NetBeans code (which is dual licensed) and use whatever you want for your own code.

The NetBeans Platform is even usable for commercial apps so I don't see a problem with an open-source app.

But if you make a derivative work of NetBeans code then you need to elect either CDDL or GPL v2 w/ CPE for your own code. Again, I would recommend CDDL.

In your situation, from the little I could understand (which is that you are making a module), I think it's OK to use MIT.

Of course, IANAL.

--emi

On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 1:28 PM, hiroqws < " target="_blank"> > wrote:
Hi

One guy tried to release a plugin for PHP framework, Laravel and want to include code completion code generator into his work.

He said Netbeans plugin must be released under CDDL-GPL-2-CP. So he worry about license violation.

We are Japanese. I knew MIT well. But don't know CDDL-GPL-2-CP. No there perfect translation in Japanese.

So, generally a developer can put MIT license resource into his/her production under CDDL-GPL-2-CP?

Is anyone know it, please let me know.

Or point out my misunderstood if exist.

ML Hirohisa Kawase

--
http://www.josekibold.ro : Honesty & well-done software.

[nbdev] MIT license resouce in CDDL-GPL-2-CP.

hiroqws 05/29/2013

[nbdev] Re: MIT license resouce in CDDL-GPL-2-CP.

Emilian Bold 05/29/2013