[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

  • From: Wade Chandler < >
  • To:
  • Cc: Milos Kleint < >
  • Subject: [nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)
  • Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 09:17:54 -0500

On 03/01/2013 08:50 AM, Milos Kleint wrote:
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM, Jean-Marc Borer
< >
 wrote:
I understand your point, but as Wade explains, you have an autoload
module without explicit dependency on it, your stuck. Starting with
IDE cluster wouldn't solve the issue here...

Very last option, get the source code of the org-netbeans-modules-xml
from netbeans project, modify the autoload setting and add it to your
project. Don't know it this would be easier to maintain as depend on a
impl version...
not really adviceable, you should include one of the non-autoload
modules that depends on it. If they provide services or UI you don't
want, use branding to hide it. If that's not possible or if you reject
that idea, create your own that depends on it (and deal with
friend/implementation dependencies)
That what I would call a standard solution.

In general xml support is not as redistributable as the core platform,
but that can be said of anything outside of the platform cluster. The
primary product is the IDE here, and the module dependencies there are
to satisfy the various IDE distributions I suppose.The open question
is if we should productize it more, feel free to file it as
enhancement request.

I have been talking with various people at various places and projects which I am involved lately, and one thing I tell people is that if you can't get done what you are trying to get done, then you don't have anything, and if the goal is to produce something, to make money in some form or fashion, even if a supporting role for that goal, then you are defeating your goal by looking for the perfect option or even by the same token trying to get your code so perfect that you miss the boat because you never get it out the door. So, as far as an end product goes, the idea would be to go with what works, and if that means to weed out some things visually, and live with a little cruft, then that is what I would do.

Now certainly, between IDEs and platforms, folks are going to use what they can get the job done with. The easier an IDE and platform are to use, then the more likely someone is going to use the solution as long as along with that simplicity it allows you to solve the problems you need to solve; i.e. not so simple as to not allow it. Too, NB IDE and the platform will only have as many users per the features it supports, and if those features are not something that will be provided by the NB team, then if someone else doesn't provide them as modules, they won't be there, and the users who may use the system otherwise will simply not use it if they get it from something else. Now, in the near term that doesn't necessarily translate to an impact on Oracles other products. They have a specific set of customers. But, sooner or later, it will have an impact.

In my opinion, one of the best things NB has going for it is the platform, and one of the best things the IDE has going for it is that folks can add plugins, and the ecosystem around NB has the potential to grow. The more people building on the NB platform, the more people who are available to write plugins to use in their day to day activity; in some cases adding support for other tools and platforms for that purpose. It is no where the same as the ecosystem for Eclipse nor IntelliJ at this point. But, imagine what it can be.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that sure, that is the purpose of autoload, but when you have a platform, and people build on it, and trust me, people like the NB platform, you should strive to make it better and easier; the NB platform IMO should strive to be more and more a rapid application development tool. Such a case wouldn't add overhead. People are going to use it as they need to. As far as the IDE is concerned, it won't realistically have any negative impact on it. It may have some ancillary positive affects by helping make the NB platform easier to use, thus attracting more people who can help improve and extend it.

Wade

--

=================
Wade Chandler

Software Engineer and Consultant
NetBeans Contributor
NetBeans Dream Team Member

wadechandler.com
netbeans.org

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

(continued)

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Wade Chandler 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Milos Kleint 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Jean-Marc Borer 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Milos Kleint 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Jean-Marc Borer 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

03/01/2013

[...]

Geertjan Wielenga 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Geertjan Wielenga 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Jean-Marc Borer 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Geertjan Wielenga 03/01/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Jean-Marc Borer 03/04/2013

[nbdev] Re: Maven Netbeans builds and dependencies issues (especially transitive ones)

Geertjan Wielenga 03/04/2013