[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

  • From: Geertjan Wielenga < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 17:51:10 +0100

On 01/15/2013 05:46 PM, Kay Wrobel wrote:
That was my thought initially and probably why I opted to just modify existing code and wizard. Alright let me take a look at how to change versions and make this a deployable module again.

I did it for you over the last few minutes and removed the parts which you probably don't need:

http://java.net/projects/nb-api-samples/sources/api-samples/show/versions/7.2/misc/ForkedJSFSupport

The above compiled and it includes the wizard code that you're interested in.

Can you tell me how I can get the new template files imported into the plugin and have them register in the IDE under the new module?

It really makes sense to spend some time with the tutorials:

http://netbeans.org/kb/trails/platform.html

For example, your question about file templates is dealt with in the File Template Module Tutorial, which you'll find on the above page.

Also, this is code I believe everyone would benefit from, not just my colleagues. We have discussed this briefly here at work, but we are willing to share this code with the community. Just don't know how.

Create a new issue in NetBeans issuezilla and attach a patch.

Gj

Kay

On 01/15/2013 10:02 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:

Yeah, what you sent is too intertwined to form the basis of a separate module. I suggest you open the web.jsf module in your IDE, make your changes, increment the version (in the Project Properties dialog, as you'll see when you follow the tutorials and other documentation), and then create a new NBM from that to distribute among your colleagues.

Gj

On 01/15/2013 04:43 PM, Kay Wrobel wrote:
Gregg: I'm a dude ;-) Thanks ma and pa. It should have been an "i" not a "y" but they wanted the name to be special.

Anyway, I have done exactly what you suggested and send it off to Geertjan for review.

Kay (speeks: Kai)

On 01/15/2013 09:27 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
It should be possible for her to do a tree diff against the code version that she started with, and take those diffs and review/apply them as patches back on top the existing development branch, and perform refactoring that might be necessary to try and separate the code into a separate module.

Are there others in the community which have interests in PrimeFaces who might like to help her put together a new module?

If she can get the original sources back from the netbeans site, a script, something like the following, would create diffs of everything under the tree.

#!/bin/bash

root=`pwd`  #run this at the root of kay's changes

#  This should be the same relative tree root as 'root'
oldroot=/path/to/original/tree

find . -type f -print | while read x
do
    if [ ! -f ${oldroot}/$x ]; then
        echo "added: $x"
    elif diff ${x} ${oldroot}/${x} >/dev/null; then
        echo no changes for $x >&2
    else
        # Context diffs with spaces ignored.
        diff -cb ${oldroot}/${x} ${x} >`dirname $x`/`basename $x`.diff
    fi
done

On the output of the script will be the list of new files. In the directories will be .diff files for each file different from the original.

Gregg Wonderly

On 1/15/2013 9:04 AM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:

But, if you can, the ideal thing would be to copy out all the classes that
you're interested in and put those into a brand new module of your own.

Gj

On 01/15/2013 04:01 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:

You can't. I advise, if you really want to do what you're doing, to publish
that whole module as a new version once you have made changes to it.

Gj

On 01/15/2013 03:35 PM, Kay Wrobel wrote:
So,

I just want to ping the developer community again on this topic. How can I
properly rip the "JSF Pages from Entity Classes" wizard out of the JSF Plugin
and turn it into a standalone module? Anybody?

Thanks,

Kay

On 01/11/2013 08:46 AM, Kay Wrobel wrote:
Hi Netbeans developers. This is my first post on this list. I have a
question that may have been asked before, but I was unable to find an answer
(maybe not the right search terms).

I have downloaded the NetBeans 7.2.1 source code and heavily modified
portions of the "JSF Plugin". Particularly I have modified the "JSF Pages
from Entity Classes" wizard to support PrimeFaces. I touched so many files
in the source, I almost can't even remember where I laid my hands on. I
actually can now generate a nice CRUD application that is completely
PrimeFaces compatible with dialogs and menu items and all. This is right now
triggered by a new CheckBox that I added on the second page of the wizard to
support PrimeFaces.

Now I realize that what I have done is maybe not the best approach because
now, I can't even distribute my solution to anybody because it's something
embedded deep in the JSF Plugin. What I would really love to do is create a
new Plugin (or module) and just completely rip this wizard from the original
source. But the wizard depends on other portions of the Plugin, i.e. for
generating the Entity facades and so forth.

Long story short, I need to create my own custom "PrimeFaces pages from
Entity Classes" and need some assistance on what to do. Please help.

Thank you

Kay

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

(continued)

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Geertjan Wielenga 01/15/2013

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Geertjan Wielenga 01/15/2013

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Kay Wrobel 01/15/2013

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Geertjan Wielenga 01/15/2013

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Kay Wrobel 01/15/2013

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Geertjan Wielenga 01/15/2013

[nbdev] Re: How to rip existing wizard from Netbeans Source

Gregg Wonderly 01/15/2013