[nbdev] Re: Wrapper module enhancements.

  • From: Ernie Rael < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbdev] Re: Wrapper module enhancements.
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 11:09:23 -0700

Have you taken a look at http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqWrapperModules ? "Method 2" shows a simple way to have the jar built and installed as part of the wrapper. I agree that this would be a nice thing to have automatically, if you specify a project, but until then ...

-ernie

On 6/28/2012 10:52 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
Let me add to this question a bit. Since the user selects a jar file, without revealing the "project" that builds it, there isn't really enough information to find the project and build it. So, the question would be, could the project be designated too, and when that is done, then the build for the wrapper module would know to build that project(s) and then copy the library jar file into the wrapper project, or I think if the project to build was known, the binary reference could be set to the original jar location and the wrapper module not copy the jar into a sub directory.

If anyone has any insight into this I'd appreciate hearing it.

Gregg Wonderly

On 6/28/2012 10:02 AM, Gregg Wonderly wrote:
I continue to find frustration with how opaque and unproductive wrapper modules
are. It is hard for me to understand why a wrapper module would not be able to
build and extract the output of a project without having to be rewired.

The problem that I have, is that I have projects that I build for work that are
in one tree, and projects I build for various open source projects that are
under other trees. So, there is never, really, a practical relative path
between projects/modules. When I export projects to open source trees, then
people may install those projects into other tree structures which will then not
be in a place that relative paths work.

The stuff on the http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqWrapperModules page thus just
doesn't seem usable at all. Since the wrapper creation process can find the
output of the project and copy it into the module, why isn't there a switch or
option in the wrapper module to "update now", or "always update" etc?

I understand there are some versioning issues that wrapper modules can be used
to resolve, when they are "static" copies of some version of the project they wrap.

What would it take to fix the wrapper module business to have this kind of
feature set?

Gregg Wonderly

[nbdev] Wrapper module enhancements.

Gregg Wonderly 06/28/2012

[nbdev] Re: Wrapper module enhancements.

Gregg Wonderly 06/28/2012

[nbdev] Re: Wrapper module enhancements.

Ernie Rael 06/28/2012