[nbdev] Re: Cluster-granularity

  • From: Jesse Glick < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbdev] Re: Cluster-granularity
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:22:13 -0400

On 03/22/2012 05:49 AM, Emilian Bold wrote:
I personally dislike the whole cluster concept and think that we should only
have modules and dependencies among them.

Agreed; it has always been problematic. For example, profiler.j2ee is in enterprise cluster because the profiler cluster is more "basic" than the enterprise cluster; there is just this one module at their intersection. And glassfish.common is in ide cluster even though nothing else in the cluster uses it, because enterprise and (former) ruby clusters both use it, so it has to be in their least common denominator. There are many similar cases.

Their solution seems to be "umbrella" packages (kinda like our .kit modules):
dummy packages that have a dependency on everything else. So if you want Gnome, you
apt-get
gnome-desktop which is just a big dependency list on everything else.

In fact that is how Plugin Manager works: it installs just those invisible modules needed to satisfy dependencies of visible modules, which may overlap in complex ways. Clusters are ignored except to decide what directory to unpack an NBM into.

DependencyBasedModuleIncludes [1] suggests making the Ant-based build system behave the same way, but of course this would be a pretty big change no one has really pushed for. Maven-based builds can already go either way: you can depend on a cluster POM to include all modules in it, and/or depend on a kit (though provide/require tokens are a problem).

[1] http://wiki.netbeans.org/DependencyBasedModuleIncludes

[nbdev] Cluster-granularity: if the NetBeans IDE consisted of 500 Debian packages, nobody would be particularly happy about that

Emilian Bold 03/22/2012

[nbdev] Re: Cluster-granularity

Jesse Glick 03/22/2012