[nbdev] Cluster-granularity: if the NetBeans IDE consisted of 500 Debian packages, nobody would be particularly happy about that

  • From: Emilian Bold < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [nbdev] Cluster-granularity: if the NetBeans IDE consisted of 500 Debian packages, nobody would be particularly happy about that
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:49:22 +0200

I was reading about clusters and noticed onĀ http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqSuitesVsClusters this quote:

Cluster-granularity is simpler to grasp and integrate with native packaging (if the NetBeans IDE consisted of 500 Debian packages, nobody would be particularly happy about that). But there is nothing preventing you from reusing a subset with module granularity.

I personally dislike the whole cluster concept and think that we should only have modules and dependencies among them.

So, I was surprised to see this justification for the cluster when Debian itself it just a bunch of packages. Why is it assumed that 500 NetBeans packages would make people unhappy?

After all, the whole Debian ecosystem has all kinds of little libraries carved up into pieces to encourage reusability and small updates.

Their solution seems to be "umbrella" packages (kinda like our .kit modules): dummy packages that have a dependency on everything else. So if you want Gnome, you apt-get gnome-desktop which is just a big dependency list on everything else. In the same way, apt-get netbeans would just drag all the 500 modules.

Not only that, but if we want to provide module-based updates via apt we need to have 500 packages anyhow.

--emi

--
http://www.josekibold.ro : Honesty & well-done software.

[nbdev] Cluster-granularity: if the NetBeans IDE consisted of 500 Debian packages, nobody would be particularly happy about that

Emilian Bold 03/22/2012

[nbdev] Re: Cluster-granularity

Jesse Glick 03/22/2012