[platform-dev] Question about Lookup

  • From: software visualization < >
  • To:
  • Subject: [platform-dev] Question about Lookup
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 10:56:51 -0500

I think I posted this to a deprecated forum earlier :(

OK I don't get it, I admit it, and I'm sure it's me whose understanding is lacking because, and this is not sarcasm, I have all kinds of faith in the architects of NB having read quite a lot authored by them and been impressed.

So this is destined to be an email I'll look back and cringe when I read but, oh well, someone's got to say this...

In the Netbeans way of programming,  it seems as though typed objects are passe and instead we have typless objects which may or may not have, through composition, any ability at any given time. The way we're supposed to find out if a given object can do X is to ask it, through its look up if it "can" (very loosely stated) "do X" at this exact point in time. The property is in the asking.

This brings up a lot of questions . For instance:

Perhaps I should carry around with me a long list of all possible things any and all objects generally "can do" so that when I want to pass a message to another object in the code I am writing, instead of directly invoking its method, I can query it (and continually too), to find out which thing on the list it's capable of. Basically, to get anything done, I "go fishing" through an object's lookup asking it the question- "might you be capable of doing this now? No? Come back in a minute? Allllrighty then, see you in a minute.. " until such time as I find an object that says "I can do that, at least for now" and then make my request on that object.....

Since any object is capable of anything at any given point in time, (it all, you know, depends....), exactly how am I supposed to use the nice features of Netbeans such as code insight and code completion and compile time checking of my code.. oh and unit testing.... since all these things depend on  the idea that each object has a characterstic signature with methods and return types and all that baggage which defines what it can do irrespective of when it's asked.

Yeah it's great that you've broken free of the burden of compile time limitations.. I am quite sure that serves the gods of runtime plugin additions and the gods of backward compatibility code writing quite well... I am just not sure that the price isn't too high...

OK now, why have I got it all wrong?

[platform-dev] Question about Lookup

software visualization 01/19/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Tim Boudreau 01/19/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Jesse Glick 01/19/2010

[platform-dev] Old save cookie problems Re: Re: Question about Lookup

Jaroslav Tulach 01/19/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Tim Boudreau 01/20/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Adam Kędziora 01/20/2010

[platform-dev] Published was: Re: Question about Lookup

Jaroslav Tulach 01/20/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Jesse Glick 01/20/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Tim Boudreau 01/20/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Jesse Glick 01/20/2010

[platform-dev] Re: Question about Lookup

Tim Boudreau 01/20/2010

Project Features

Project Links

About this Project

Platform was started in November 2009, is owned by Antonin Nebuzelsky, and has 149 members.
By use of this website, you agree to the NetBeans Policies and Terms of Use (revision 20160708.bf2ac18). © 2014, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Sponsored by Oracle logo