Re: elements or component instances?

  • From: Victor Vasilyev < >
  • To: Irina Filippova < >
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: elements or component instances?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 22:32:32 +0400

Hi Irina,

Irina Filippova wrote:
- Is the "component" an accepted term and can be used as "JavaFX language component" to refer to the items on the Palette?
IMHO documentation should always share terminology used in specifications.

The term "component" (or better "GUI component") is used in areas of AWT and Swing at least because there are corresponding classes java.awt.Component [1] and javax.swing.JComponent [2].
Note, JComponent is successor of the class Component. Hence, any GUI component in AWT/Swing applications is successor of the Component.

AFAIU a common ancestor for all "GUI entities"/"GUI objects"/widgets in the JavaFX is the javafx.scene.Node [3]
Note, although the javafx.ext.swing.SwingComponent is the base class for all encapsulated Swing components in the JavaFX, it also successor of the javafx.scene.Node.

Hence, I guess, "GUI node" is the best term that can be used in context of the JavaFX.

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/awt/Component.html
[2] http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/swing/JComponent.html
[3] http://java.sun.com/javafx/1.1/docs/api/javafx.scene/javafx.scene.Node.html
[4] http://java.sun.com/javafx/1.1/docs/api/javafx.ext.swing/javafx.ext.swing.SwingComponent.html

I hope, JavaFX experts will give you more info.

Cheers,
Victor

elements or component instances?

Irina Filippova 04/07/2010

Re: elements or component instances?

David Kaspar 04/07/2010

Re: elements or component instances?

Victor Vasilyev 04/07/2010

Re: elements or component instances?

Irina Filippova 04/08/2010

Re: elements or component instances?

Rastislav Komara 04/08/2010

JavaFX was started in November 2009, is owned by psuchomel, and has 53 members.