Re: Properties of properties?

  • From: Jeff Rubinoff < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Properties of properties?
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:23:28 +0100

Thanks, David.
I was writing a "Quick Reference" javahelp and trying to write a generic entry on "Set a property on a UI component."

Actually, could all of you have a look at the javahelp I've written, esp. Working With JavaFX Composer and the Quick Reference? It' probably more efficient if you suggest topics for the Quick Reference as I go along, instead of me trying to think of them all. Also, it's likely that I've made a mistake.
Anyway, I just pushed. Should be in the help TOC, too.

Jeff

David Kaspar wrote:

Hi Jeff,

In the latest builds, the "textFill" and other color-properties can:
1) hold a specific color value specified in format:
1a) color name e.g. WHITE
1b) RGBA float e.g. 0.1, 0.2, 0.4, 1.0
1c) RGBA hex e.g. 0x00, 0x80, 0xFF, 1.0
1d) Web format e.g. 0xFF0080 or #80FF00
2) hold a reference to a Paint/Color resource. The resource can be created by the "Add" button next to the "value" combo-box. A resource has properties e.g. Color resource has "red", "green", "blue", "opacity".

The resource approach is useful for setting the same Paint/Color to multiple components and modify them at one place or for using Gradients which cannot be specified by a short text as for colors.

In your case the terminology is:
1) The "textFill" property holds color-value or a reference to a resource.
2) A resource has properties.
3) In JavaFX terminology, a property is called "variable". This term can be used for pointing a particular representation of a "property" in a generated JavaFX code.

Regards,
  David

On 03/27/2010 01:02 AM, Jeff Rubinoff wrote:
If I add "color" or "color1", etc, to the Text Fill property of a label, are "color", "color1", etc, properties of the Text Fill property? It makes it difficult to describe clearly. If "color," "field gradient," etc, are not properties of properties, what are they? Fields? Sub-properties?

Jeff

Properties of properties?

Jeff Rubinoff 03/27/2010

Re: Properties of properties?

David Kaspar 03/27/2010

Re: Properties of properties?

Jeff Rubinoff 03/27/2010

JavaFX was started in November 2009, is owned by psuchomel, and has 53 members.