Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

  • From: Stas Torgashov < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 22:17:26 +0100

Hello,

What I do actually see with NB7.3b1 (now I'm downloading 7.3b2;) with my projects is:
- faster parsing; indeed, almost because NB7.2 usually stalls at 95..97% of the source code, only sometimes getting to 100% - that's why I have had to use Eclipse CDT for this;
- saved project is loaded back (after close app/start app) really _times_ faster;
- IDE seems to be more stable, I mean, that 7.3b can still loose identifiers, but more seldom than 7.2.
I feel more happier with 7.3 with my projects, because typical heap size which IDE uses is 900Mb..1.2Gb. And I think I can see the difference;)

On 11/08/2012 09:55 AM, Leonid Lenyashin wrote:
I'd like Egor and Vladimir to comment in better details, but here is my view:
- parser speed improvement may be seen for project of any size, but it is not going to be huge. You may see 5-10% speed up and for small projects you won't notice that at all
- memory footprint effort is really a big deal, but to feel the difference you need to have project that used to require 1Gb+ heap to open and parse and work reasonably well. As these type of projects imposed memory pressure on parser and negative effect of GC was dramatic, so that now when memory requirements are up to 3 times lower you can expect significant speed up at parse time and much better response time. It could be several times if your case was really bad.
- the [sharable] parser index is not on by default and we'd like to introduce some intelligence that would help user to turn it on when it is expected to help. So preconditions for using it and getting some benefits of this feature are:
a) you do share your project with your colleagues through some VCS mechanism
b) the amount of changes done by your colleagues and frequency of updates from the shared repository are causing frequent and long enough re-parses to be considered as pain in the ass
If those above conditions are met, then now there is a way to make parser index travel with project and by that avoid triggering virtually any re-parse after update.
BTW, there is another feature in the 7.3 which is supposed to speed up Find Usages on huge projects. And I want to ensure you that it is not the end - for the next 6 months at least our main focus will be on performance and footprint improvement. We have a good pipeline of infrastructural changes to implement.

On 11/08/2012 01:14 AM, Stas Torgashov wrote:
Leonid, by the way.
Parser speed improvements and parser's index are for all living or it affects all size projects?
And the same question about memory consumption reduction.

On 11/07/2012 03:16 PM, Leonid Lenyashin wrote:
how big is your project? You can only see the benefit of all 3 items if the size is beyond certain limits.
How many files/lines are in your project? How long does it take to be parsed?

On 11/05/2012 09:44 AM, coolsabby7 wrote:
Hi
I have been using NB for quite some time and now am using the NB 7.3 beta for C/C++ and have read about these new features in c/c++ listed in NB 7.3 site

    1) Memory usage reduced by at least half for big projects
    2) Parser speed improvements
    3) Parser's index can be kept and relocated with project

Although i don't see a major change in the IDE behavior regarding the first 2 points, but may be its just the beta version hope to see it later..

Bit i am interested about the 3rd point..any one on the forum have used save & relocatable index feature for C++ projects...

please let me know how to do it..

--
73! Stas Torgashov

Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

(continued)

Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

soldatov 11/05/2012

Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

coolsabby7 11/06/2012

Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

soldatov 11/06/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Torgashov Stas 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Torgashov Stas 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Stas Torgashov 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Stas Torgashov 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/09/2012

Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

coolsabby7 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Egor Ushakov 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Stas Torgashov 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Vladimir Kvashin 11/08/2012

CND was started in November 2009, is owned by Leonid Lenyashin, and has 130 members.