Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

  • From: Leonid Lenyashin < >
  • To:
  • Subject: Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 14:00:02 +0400

On 11/08/2012 09:26 AM, coolsabby7 wrote:
Hi Leonid....
thanks for the reply...
You are welcome

what makes a big project can you classify limits for it ???
The is no classification. What size an apple should be to classify as a Big Apple? ;-) There is no scientific definition for that, it is all about scalability issues.

My project is quite big...the actual project is on a remote system....i am
using the remote file system(mapped drive through samba server)...for
access...the number of files may be between 5k to 8k .....
It is big. One thing here I must warn you about is that NetBeans I/O model is known to have some issues that are not that noticeable if FS is a local one, but on any mounted FS you may see some performance degradation which is higher than one can expect. My team through the years drove many improvements in this area, not because we are responsible for the I/O, but because our [C/C++] customers are more likely to use remote/mounted FS. However there is still some room for improvement. You may want to try our remote development feature and play with it to find a configuration which fits into you performance requirements and setup.

if the enhancements get triggered at certain conditions..that is a bit
awkward don't you think, improvements like this should not be based on
project size(a very skewed assumption)....a user must be able to use the full
benefits at any..level...
There is some misunderstanding here. We did not put any "if (project_size > CERTAIN_LIMIT)" clause into the code. The statement I made is similar to "You are not capable to drive your car safely beyond certain speed limits". That is for sure a true statement, but nobody knows what the limits are. However anybody can come up with a reasonable assumption. The main problem with the project size is the memory required to parse and keep Code Assistance related data. You start your IDE with some max heap size (most likely the default one) and if your project fits into the heap well enough everything will work reasonable well. If not, the performance will degrade dramatically. In 7.2 we introduced a warning that notify a user if it is the case. It is complemented by a help article describing how to increase heap size.

a simple thing as relocatable index would help greatly...if the projects need
migration to different machine and so on....

there is no other way or hack to activate them...
See another post from Vladimir Kvashin for details. This is going to change eventually to be more user friendly.

please reply..

thanks...

[quote="Leonid Lenyashin"]how big is your project? You can only see the
benefit of all 3 items if
the size is beyond certain limits.
How many files/lines are in your project? How long does it take to be
parsed?

On 11/05/2012 09:44 AM, coolsabby7 wrote:
[quote]Hi
I have been using NB for quite some time and now am using the NB 7.3 beta for
C/C++ and have read about these new features in c/c++ listed in NB 7.3 site

1) Memory usage reduced by at least half for big projects
2) Parser speed improvements
3) Parser's index can be kept and relocated with project

Although i don't see a major change in the IDE behavior regarding the first 2
points, but may be its just the beta version hope to see it later..

Bit i am interested about the 3rd point..any one on the forum have used save
& relocatable index feature for C++ projects...

please let me know how to do it..

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

(continued)

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Torgashov Stas 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Torgashov Stas 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Stas Torgashov 11/07/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Stas Torgashov 11/08/2012

Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

coolsabby7 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Egor Ushakov 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Leonid Lenyashin 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Stas Torgashov 11/08/2012

Re: Using Netbeans 7.3 beta, but no clue about new relocatable index feature in C++

Vladimir Kvashin 11/08/2012

CND was started in November 2009, is owned by Leonid Lenyashin, and has 130 members.