Bug 95300 - I18N - i18n infrastructure and kits needed for the web page
I18N - i18n infrastructure and kits needed for the web page
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Product: installer
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Code
6.x
All All
: P2 (vote)
: 6.x
Assigned To: dlipin
issues@installer
: I18N
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2007-02-12 16:49 UTC by Ken Frank
Modified: 2007-11-23 17:33 UTC (History)
0 users

See Also:
Issue Type: TASK
:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ken Frank 2007-02-12 16:49:39 UTC
I don't think engine is the correct subcat, please change as needed.

The web page that user sees that lets them choose platform and components,
and then a customized installer jar is generated and can be downloaded -
it is based on html page and I think javascript or jsp code.

The messages and labels of this web page need to come from bundle files.
Also, they will need to be in l10n kit and be able to be putback to the nbi
translatedfiles area as well as being used to build the localized web page.

That is, even though the code for this web page might be in html or using jsp or 
javascript, the msgs need to come from bundle files, not requiring html
or other files to be translated.

In other products, that used jsp code, i18n tags library was used to get
messages from bundle files.
Comment 1 Ken Frank 2007-07-07 06:02:36 UTC
can we discuss this soon ?

will the messages seen on the installer web page come from the installer own
bundle files or is it from web page on web server ?

if from web pages on web server, the msgs still need to come from bundle files
but they would not be part of product l10n kit - perhaps they could be part
of web docs kit, but those are really for non jsp kind of pages that are completely
translated.

ken.frank@sun.com
Comment 2 Kirill Sorokin 2007-07-09 13:59:08 UTC
As we're not using the dynamic web page for generating the installers this issue is only partially relevant. Translation
still needs to be done for the static page, but in my opinion this is outside of scope for the installer team. Ken, what
is the process for translating the regular static web pages on nb.org?
Comment 3 Ken Frank 2007-07-09 15:53:16 UTC
Before explaining about static pages, I notice that not all words come from the web page,
like Runtimes, like the tooltips when hover over each component to download that explains
about them, the word Free.

If these come from js or other script files vs coming from just html files, then those
msgs/words in the js files need to come from bundle files, not be translated in the
actual .js or other script file.  There is a standard way to do this.

static pages are gotten from web docs l10n kit - and they are translalted and put back
to a web docs cvs location; there is a corresponding wiki page and nb doc writer
point of contact for each large component area. 

Patrick Keegan manages this process and can tell more information about it.


ken.frank@sun.com
Comment 4 Kirill Sorokin 2007-07-09 15:56:43 UTC
OK, got it. I'll come up with a process description of how these should be localized.
Comment 5 dlipin 2007-09-04 10:49:07 UTC
More a task than a defect.
Comment 6 Ken Frank 2007-10-29 18:42:34 UTC
what is the status of this ?
I think as per final ml installer date of 11/5 that this needs to be
implemented by then (in a test version)

some questions

- will the bundle file for this be in the installer l10n kit ?
(I am assuming that the download page is not a static web page here but
dynamically creates itself based on detected users platform
(and later for locale)

- when the translated msgs are put back, will installer or BE process
then get the messages and insert them into the download page

or 

will there be constructed a separate localized page for each locale.

- how will the population of the language dropdown be done ?  what communication
is needed to tell installer team that for some localized version of some language that its now ready
to be available on the download page ?


- will the determination of which language to whow the download page in be based
on browsers view of locale ? (which is usually users locale they are running browser
in) -- this is an important requirement.

ken.frank@sun.com
Comment 7 Alexei Mokeev 2007-11-02 15:08:24 UTC
Hi Ken, some answers are inline:

>some questions

>- will the bundle file for this be in the installer l10n kit ?
>(I am assuming that the download page is not a static web page here but
>dynamically creates itself based on detected users platform
>(and later for locale)
The page will contain localized parts in the combobox, which is use to select a language.
Language names needs to be localized. This localized text will be stored in a page itself and present for all locales.
So no bundle will be used.  

>- when the translated msgs are put back, will installer or BE process
> then get the messages and insert them into the download page

>or 
>will there be constructed a separate localized page for each locale.
Ken, like in 5.5.1 the page itself will not be localized. The only chooser will have localized strings. 


>- how will the population of the language dropdown be done ?  what communication
>is needed to tell installer team that for some localized version of some language that its now ready
>to be available on the download page ?
The best way is a message to nbi-iteam@Sun.Com. We will update the dropdown with new language. 

>- will the determination of which language to whow the download page in be based
>on browsers view of locale ? (which is usually users locale they are running browser
>in) -- this is an important requirement.
Again - dropdown will be localized for all locales and download page will not be localized 
See 5.5.1: http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/all.php?b_id=3095 The page is in English, but language choosers are localized.

Thank you,
Alexei. 
Comment 8 Ken Frank 2007-11-02 17:01:10 UTC
 Alexei,

I will add this to issue after sending it but its easier to respond to you this way

comments are embedded below ...


av@netbeans.org wrote:
> http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=95300
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ------- Additional comments from av@netbeans.org Fri Nov  2 14:08:24 +0000 2007 -------
> Hi Ken, some answers are inline:
>
>   
>> some questions
>>     
>
>   
>> - will the bundle file for this be in the installer l10n kit ?
>> (I am assuming that the download page is not a static web page here but
>> dynamically creates itself based on detected users platform
>> (and later for locale)
>>     
> The page will contain localized parts in the combobox, which is use to select a language.
> Language names needs to be localized. This localized text will be stored in a page itself and present for all locales.
> So no bundle will be used.  
>   
if the page for localized is a static kind of html page that will be translated
itself, that is ok,
but if its some jsp/jsscript page, the translatable words should be from bundle
file and obtained using jsp i18n api since it can be prone to syntax errors
for translators who are not engineers to translate more complex pages like
jsp/jscript.

if it is static page, will itbe placed into the installer kit and then installer team
process will get the put back translated file and do what is needed to show those
translated names ?

>   
>> - when the translated msgs are put back, will installer or BE process
>> then get the messages and insert them into the download page
>>     
>
>   
>> or 
>> will there be constructed a separate localized page for each locale.
>>     
> Ken, like in 5.5.1 the page itself will not be localized. The only chooser will have localized strings. 
>
>   
I had thought this also; but translation people told me that there was a completely
translated page for 551 and that they felt it important to have the page
translated mroe than just the dropdown language names.

>> - how will the population of the language dropdown be done ?  what communication
>> is needed to tell installer team that for some localized version of some language that its now ready
>> to be available on the download page ?
>>     
> The best way is a message to nbi-iteam@Sun.Com. We will update the dropdown with new language. 
>
>   
>> - will the determination of which language to whow the download page in be based
>> on browsers view of locale ? (which is usually users locale they are running browser
>> in) -- this is an important requirement.
>>     
> Again - dropdown will be localized for all locales and download page will not be localized 
> See 5.5.1: http://www.netbeans.info/downloads/all.php?b_id=3095 The page is in English, but language choosers are
localized.
>   

Thanks - Ken

> Thank you,
> Alexei. 
>   
Comment 9 Ken Frank 2007-11-22 18:57:06 UTC
we've had other mail discussions about what parts can be translated.

I think next step now is to

- have those msgs in the installer l10n kit
- I will pseudo localize and put back to translatedfiles location
- the implementation of this would be done by dev team, including populating the language
dropdown with the available languages (which now should be ja, zh_CN, pt_BR.

- I will then be in ja locale, browse to the ml installer page, and then can see if the
translated msgs show, and if the language choices are in the dropdown.

Does this sound like appropriate next steps ?

ken.frank@sun.com
Comment 10 dlipin 2007-11-23 17:33:43 UTC
Marking as fixed at this point.

Some infrastructure for web page localization has been added. Appropriate files has been also added to l10n kit.

> - have those msgs in the installer l10n kit
done
> - I will pseudo localize and put back to translatedfiles location
right.
> - the implementation of this would be done by dev team, including populating the language
dropdown with the available languages (which now should be ja, zh_CN, pt_BR.
correct. should be already done

> - I will then be in ja locale, browse to the ml installer page, and then can see if the
translated msgs show, and if the language choices are in the dropdown.
right


By use of this website, you agree to the NetBeans Policies and Terms of Use. © 2012, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Sponsored by Oracle logo