Created attachment 123773 [details]
Project that reproduces the problem
1. Unzip and open the attached projects (Java webapp and HTML5 app)
2. Run the Java project on GlassFish
3. Run the HTML5 application - table with results obtained from web service will be displayed
4. Turn on select mode in browser and select some cell in the table
=> CSS Styles window is populated, but the Rule Editor continues to say <No Properties>
At the end this is understandable, because the CSS we are inspecting is a remote file (btw there is a related bug 217664), but this should be signaled to the user in a better way. Currently it is not apparent why the rule editor does not display any properties.
One possible way to fix it would be to display a read-only view of the properties, but there would still need to be some indication explaining the user why they are read-only.
Assuming we have the "css live update" I believe the RE can still "work" w/o saving the changes - just modifying the DOM.
OTOH this doesn't make much sense if the file is truly "remote" and has no local counterpart.
I can't reproduce it as the styles view remains empty for the newhtml.html regardless what I try to select/inspect.
(In reply to comment #2)
> I can't reproduce it as the styles view remains empty for the newhtml.html
> regardless what I try to select/inspect.
The problem is that the attached newHtml/html file is using
stylesheet that is no longer available. It seems that the current location of the stylesheet is
Moreover, it seems that the original stylesheet was based on 'tablesorter' class while the new one is based on 'tablesorter-blue' class. Hence, you have to update the class of the <table> element for the style to be applied.
> One possible way to fix it would be to display
> a read-only view of the properties
The page inspection has access to the text of the stylesheet no matter where it comes from. Hence, it would be possible to save a local read-only copy of the remote stylesheet and let the CSS infrastructure (including the Rule Editor) work with this file.
* remote stylesheets are downloaded and represented
by read-only FileObjects by now
* Rule Editor is no longer empty for rules from remote stylesheets
* Go To Source actions for Properties and Rules from remote stylesheets
open a read-only copy of a downloaded stylesheet
* links in Applied Styles section of CSS Styles view open a read-only copy
of a downloaded stylesheet (for remote stylesheets)