Please remove the meaningless text from each and every template everywhere please:
* To change this template, choose Tools | Templates
* and open the template in the editor.
The test is in:
The world would be happy if the text were to be deleted.
The text is not in the template, it is in the "default" license header used when the project does not specify a license. It is telling you how to change that license header. Of course better would be for the IDE to not insert such text in the actual file but guide you to change the header somehow. Perhaps a notification could appear in the status line with a link to either
1. Edit the default license to say something else. Of course that only makes sense if every file you create should have the same header. Which could be empty if you like, or some corporate boilerplate, etc.
2. Pick a different license for the current project. This means adding a license picker GUI to each project type, which we probably need anyway. You might still need to open Tools > Templates in case your desired header text is not yet listed there.
Just a few notes on constraints:
1. the text is part of a license header include
2. some files created with the header template are not customizable themselves, eg. stuff from apisupport.
3. in latest dev builds it's possible to change the license header template in project customizer of j2se and maven projects
geertjan, do you have a suggestion for improvement of the text message? that's the only change I'm willing to do right now
Maybe change it to a space? That's one character, still, a character.
(In reply to comment #5)
> Maybe change it to a space? That's one character, still, a character.
No, that's something everyone can do eventually after editing the default template, but it should not be the default content. The default content should point the user to the right place to make the change nothing more.
(unless you want to bring it up to the ui review team - or whatever the name of that group is right now)