The build zip archive contains two files whose name is almost identical but the case:
This causes problems when unpacking on some platforms, such as Windows or case-insensitive Mac drives.
This problem was introduced by the upgrade to JRuby 1.5 a week ago.
When I download the stock JRuby 1.5 installation, it only contains the lower-case source.rb file, not the upper-case source.RB file. So the problem is in the packaging process of JRuby into NetBeans.
The two files also have different content, looks like source.RB has some additional code. Don't we patch it and save with changed case?
The source.rb and source.RB files are part of the ruby-debug-0.10.3 gem, which is now bundled with JRuby (as of 1.5). The gem provides command line debugging and is not under our control (i.e. is not part of debug-commons), so I can't fix the issue in the gem itself. I'll notify the gem owner about this. For 6.9 I can resolve the issue by removing the gem from the bundled JRuby; then it won't be possible to do cli debugging out-of-the-box, but I think we can live with that (that was the case before as well).
You are saying that this gem is a part of JRuby, but when I download the JRuby distribution from jruby.org, there is just one of these files. How is this possible? It looks like they somehow deal with this in JRuby.
The files are in a .gem file, ruby-debug-0.10.3.gem to be specific - the gem is then installed (unpacked) as part of the build process.
Fixed in 7aa4d2cb1670 by removing ruby-debug from the bundled JRuby. The two files are provided by the ruby-debug gem, but apparently it is somehow platform specific whether they both really get installed. Removing the gems seems like the best way to fix this for 6.9.
I guess this should be transplanted to release69 if it is not too late, so raising the priority and adding the keyword.
pchytil, can you please verify the issue so that this can be put to 6.9? Thanks.
Integrated into 'main-golden', will be available in build *201006011333* on http://bits.netbeans.org/dev/nightly/ (upload may still be in progress)
User: Erno Mononen <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Log: #186654 - Two files with difference only in case are packaged in the build
Finally, I was able to verify it in NetBeans-dev-web-main-3306-on-100601-full.zip which was the first build, which contains the fix. I also tried to unzip build 3304 and it still contained the error - that's ok.
verified also in NetBeans IDE Dev (Build 201006020001)
Transplanted to release69 in 65815be67d98.
Transplanted to release691 as 7951ab367944
(Marking verified per Petr Chytil's comment)
Added keyword 6.9.1_CANDIDATE to bugfixes, which were integrated in release69 repository *after* the release691 clone has been created.
do not see the mentioned gem in
Product Version: NetBeans IDE 6.9.1 Dev (Build 201007072301)
Java: 1.6.0_20; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 16.3-b01-279
System: Mac OS X version 10.6.4 running on x86_64; MacRoman; en_US (nb)
--> verified in 6.9.1