Would be very nice to having the creation and management of Java EE app-clients based on Netbeans Platform fully integrated with the whole IDE (as it's actually for plain EE app-clients).
Actually the only known steps are found at http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqAppClientOnNbPlatformTut , but they are far from optimal:
- manual changes to configuration files;
- no build dependencies between projects;
- deploy on save not working;
- unable to live-update the running RCP client when a module is modified (the whole app have to be re-builded and re-started);
- not clear if it's a long-term supported feature;
- (maybe others...)
App-clients are important for internal tools in a lot of companies, or to offer some remote services using something more rich than a web front-end, while keeping business logics and data on separated servers. Missing the possibility to take advantage of NetBeans Platform it's a pity.