Fro user report:
It would be really helpful to be able to tell Netbeans to load symbols from a separate symbol file. A lot of times we build an executable and strip out the symbols and put them into another file. I need to be able to have Netbeans pull in that symbol file if my remote executable does not have the symbols in it.
I agree - at the moment gdbserver is very minimalistic plugin. It works quite good with gdb from Yagarto toolchain, but it lack of some features i've used before when coding with Code::Blocks (lot of options to configure remote gdb, like user initialization commands window to load symbol file). First what i wishes to see is an option to select behaviour after program start: is it should pause at reset, at main() or simple run. Now each time i start debugging session debugger halt at reset vector in assembler startup file - its annoying...
There is also some bug in variables recognition, because the variables window sometimes cannot show the variable value, but when value name pasted to Expression Evaluation window command line - it is shown correctly. If some more info's needed, please let mi know, i'll try to find something out.
Created attachment 115410 [details]
additional gdb server options
This is a screenshot from MPLAB where options I suggested earlier are implemented
Product Version = NetBeans IDE 7.1 (Build 201112071828)
Operating System = Windows XP version 5.1 running on x86
Java; VM; Vendor = 1.6.0_31
Runtime = Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM 20.6-b01
I have found a real problem with GDBServer, when connecting to remote debugger:
I'm using OpenOCD as remote server. After I click 'Attach debugger...'-> OK, the OpenOCD fires '-event gdb-attach' from the script and I can load the image into processor memory.
Now, when I have some variables in 'Watches' window, it is impossible to connect with OpenOCD. Netbeans is acting like it was connected (debugging session is active), but 'gdb-attach' event is not fired.
When a remove ALL variables from 'watches' window, I can connect to OpenOCD and work normally again.
Not sure is it gdbserver bug, or something else. I work with CodeSourcery arm-none-eabi compiler and debugger.