We encourage people to redistribute NetBeans as their own application. It would
help to make this easier for people, in the following way - a wizard that allows
you to create a new distribution of the IDE, specify which modules should be in
it, branding, etc. and create the result as a zip file, based on the running
instance of the IDE.
Workflow would be something like:
- Select splash screen, product name and other branding stuff
- Select from the installed modules which modules should end up in the new distro
- Saves current configuration of the IDE as default configuration of new distro
(e.g. editor colors, etc)
- Choose from mounted filesystems to distribute example files with the new
- Build the distribution
- Offer to notify netbeans.org that this distribution exists, so it can be
added to the 3rd party page
*** Issue 14767 has been marked as a duplicate of this issue. ***
Just updating the component.
Maybe. This is very open-ended however. There are dozens of things
that different distributions might want to customize, a wizard could
not hope to cover more than a couple of toy things.
I'd say if we could offer the basics that get someone a reasonable
build of their app, that would be a start.
Things like default menu configuration and so forth...it's open-ended,
but I think we could come up with a reasonable subset that would work
and be valuable.
Implemented in some form. Open separate RFEs for more specific things.