When editing Grails code the editor totally locks for 40-60 seconds to often. Sometimes I can only work 30 seconds
before it happens again. The happens especially after deleting code.
In 6.5 there was a lockup of 5-6 seconds but now it's much worse.
Everything is locked, even the GUI/repaint is hanging.
Several thread dumps from jvisualvm attached.
thanks for the report. However I'm not able to reproduce this so far :( Do you think you could try the latest build
(http://bertram.netbeans.org/hudson/job/web-main/ - the last successful)? Alternatively can you provide a scenario when
it is usually reproducible?
I tested web-main-142-on-090320 but this build is even more crazy. Constant 50-60% CPU utilization and NB GUI freeze 3
seconds then ok for 5 seconds, over and over again. I can't use this build.
Here are my project statistics:
| Name | Files | LOC |
| Controllers | 30 | 4618 |
| Domain Classes | 49 | 1158 |
| Services | 4 | 326 |
| Tag Libraries | 1 | 276 |
| Groovy Helpers | 10 | 488 |
| Java Helpers | 1 | 99 |
| Unit Tests | 23 | 463 |
| Integration Tests | 11 | 142 |
| Totals | 129 | 7570 |
Hardware: Dual core 2.13GHz 3GB RAM.
It's hard to tell specific use cases, all editing are slow. But large files > 500 lines are worst.
NB 6.5 was also slow when deleting code in large Grails controllers, but not as bad as current builds.
Please advice, what can I do next? (I don't think I'm allowed to send the whole project)
Update: I removed the .netbeans/dev directory and let NetBeans index/scan projects... over night.
Next morning CPU load is down to acceptable levels (5%) and GUI feels faster.
I'll update the issue with more information later this weekend.
> I don't think I'm allowed to send the whole project
I'm not sure whether you mean this with respect to your company. If you are asking us for permission - than go ahead (or
send it to me with private mail).
There was Parsing API changes (whole new infrastructure) merged to 6.7 so there can be various issues. Perhaps it can't
handle old data stored in userdir... Vita what do you think?
Goran, thanks for all your help.
I tested the "temporary workaround" using web-187 for 1 hour, working with a small service class.
Then I spent only ~10 minutes in the long grails controller.
But even with that short time I could see and feel the difference.
No GUI lockups, just some pauses for 3-4 seconds now and then.
Very positive. I'm productive again!
Unfortunately I have been in meeting mode since then. I will hopefully have time to work on the project again tomorrow.
I will give more feedback then.
Peter, maybe we should set this issue to FIXED.
I don't have the severe problems I describe in the first description anymore.
I do have lockups once in while, but not so often and severe as before.
Maybe 2-3 times per day, and only 5-10 seconds.
I will try to get a thread dump when it happens, but usually I'm to slow.
For me it's ok to close this issue, and I will open another if I get a thread dump of the minor lockups.